Chapter 24 - Till Dusk

I was free falling, my knuckles bloody from scrapping against the wall, this was it. I closed my eyes not wanting to know when I would hit the ground.

I could feel myself slamming again into the stone wall, a sharp pain pulsing through my nose making me slip further away from reality. The straps on my arm suddenly becoming heavy as if something was clinging onto it. Opening my eyes, I realised I was moving the opposite direction. Something or someone was pulling me up!

All I could make out where bodies flinging themselves off the roof. An endless waterfall of the infected, whaling for blood. The smell tipping me over the edge into blackness.

*

"Seth...Seeeth... Seth Seth Seth. SETH." I bottled upright, my head spinning with only one though echoing though my mind...

"Must find Seth."

I attempted to stand but the world wouldn't stop moving and so I ended up awkwardly on the sofa, something hard and wet digging into my back. Reaching back I found the half empty bottle noticing the deep red stain I was now sitting in. Shrugging I took a swig before staggering to my feet whistling a tune that I don't remember ever hearing.

"Must...find Seth!" I remembered. Raising my bottle to the model elephant. "Must find Seth."

Rolling my eyes, I began the painfully slow waltz to the door with a little bit of help from the furniture, but the floor soon swept me off my feet, giving me a hard hug. "No! Must find Seth, I love Seth!"

I gave up on walking and decided to crawl, it seemed more natural. And with my bottle perched in between my lips I made my way through the house.

Reaching the front door I climbed up to the handle, holding on to it as it swung open nearly making me drop my wine! The shame of it. I gulped down another mouthful, dribbling mostly of it down my front as I attempted to balance myself out. "Seth, must find...Seth. Lost him." Shacking my head I took one step forward, and then another, and another. The sky was darker then I remembered, the sun already disappearing behind the church... church? Why did that ring a bell. I stopped and thought about it for a moment, pressing through the haziness.

"Meet at the church!" I shouted. Seth will be at the church.

I began making my way in its general direction, eyeing the funny man with no legs dragging himself towards me.
*
There was no beeping when I awoke, my pillow as hard as stone. My face feeling num, pain still lingering from the train crash... train crash? My eyes darted open, I was not in a hospital.

Looking round I released that I was church... Eve... EVE! The memory's leading to this moment suddenly flooding back. The camp, the infected, loosing Eve then finding Jamie.

I brought myself upright, every bone in my body aching, not to mention stiff!

"Finally, your awake!" It was Jamie. "Thought I'd lost you for a moment back there."

"How did I survive?" I asked as she helped me to my feet.

"Jack caught you somehow, done his arm in an all. Your lucky to be alive."

"Seriously? Who else is here, is Eve back!" I already knew the answer.

"Most of use, think where only missing like three, and no."

"Thought as much, where is everyone?"

"Follow me... So how you feeling?"

"Like I've jumped off the top board and belly flopped, you?

She laughed. "Same! Today has been the longest day of my life."

"It's not over yet." I finished as we entered the chapel, passing line upon line of pews. I could see the others gathered round the front looking over at use.