Chapter 11 - Sitting by the fire

We spend the next several hours wasting away under the sun doing laps of the field and various other workouts that left muscles sour that I didn't even know I had. It didn't help that 'Sir' liked to shout and always had an insult or two up his sleeve. Don't get me wrong he's good at what he does but he could do it a little nicer.

By the time four hours where up we where stumbling back to are tents groaning in pain, the only people who seemed to have lived where Elliot and Lydia.

"Eeerrrr, forget what I said earlier, that was torture," Eve complained, resting her head on my shoulder as we stumbled back down the track.

"You hungry?"

She half laughed half snorted, "food that is really all you think about."

"Well I'm always hungry, I'll see if we can get a fire going when we get back, make some beans."

"Make some bean hu? You remember earlier..." she said taking her head off my shoulder, there was that twinkle again!

"Yeah?"

"How can they do this to use! Not interrupting are we?" It was, surprise surprise, the twins.

"Just a bit and because they can... it will do you some good!" Eve replied sharply.

"You calling me fat punk?!"

"Who even says punk?" Eve butted in, sounding slightly annoyed.

"Touchy, I can't feel anything at all in my legs, they've gone all numb!"

"And where gonna have to sleep on a hard floor tonight," the other finished.

"Well if you're so numb you won't be able to feel it." Eve continued.

The Twins complained all the way back, they didn't seem to get Eves hints much to her displeasure but they finally stopped when we got inside, turning there attention to Jamie.

"Does anyone know how to get a fire going?" James asked carrying an arm full of wood into the tent.

"We got any matches?" I asked.

"Think there's some in the box."

Lumbering to my feet I shuffled over too where we'd left it and started rifling through the box, picking up the a large pan and all the cans of beans while I was at it. "Got some! Take it we're cooking dinner?"

"If you can call heating up 10 cans of beans then yes."

"We gonna use all of them?" I questioned, walking out side. "Because some of the girls are only going to eat like half a can, might as well only put 7 in and leave the rest."

"We can always heat it up separately, yeah I don't mind."

We started to pile up the wood he had fetched and used some off the smaller bits of kindle to get a small fire going. After 8 years of having a wood burner at home you get pretty good at starting fires.

Everyone soon started to join us outside as the fire blazed up and the sun sank lower and lower. I could see other fires starting to pop up around the field until It looked like the stars had fallen from the sky.

When the fire had finally settled down we began to crack open the cans of beans and poor them into the large pot which we ended up balancing it on top of the fire. That was probably not how you where supposed to do it but we were hungry and sleepy.

I can go get some water for hot chocolate and tea if you want." Lydia suggested.

"I could do with a hot chocolate, they in the box?" I asked.