Chapter 8 - Shopping Spree

MERRY CHRISTMAS! I hope you all have a great day, as promised an upload! Still needs a little editing so apologies for any mistakes! A big thank you as always for your support.

*****************************

"It gives me little pleasure to announce as Prime Minster of Great Britain that are country is officially in a pandemic. Early this month a virus know as T.X.1 was discovered in our wild animals and later our cattle, sadly I must confirm that it has spread to mankind and is spreading at a epidemic rate which we cannot control. We ask the public to remain in their homes and not to panic, we are doing all we can and will do everything in our power to suppress this attack and restore order to our fair country. At this moment in time I am calling marshal law effective immediately and instating camps for the protection of our citizens. We must remain vigilant, as Winston Churchill said 'If you're going through hell, keep going' and we will make it through, if we do it as one. It's starts with our everyday people maintain the peace and enduring till the end. We are more a danger to ourselves then this virus. We must never, never, never give up hope.'

Rushing out of the car I grabbed the axe from the boot and joined my Dad running towards the supermarket. All around us was chaos; fires littering the car park still burning hot from petrol bombs when people initially took over the place. But now there where people everywhere rushing in and out of the store and through smashed windows all with the same idea. Grab as much food and water as possible, because who knows when we would next see any proper food then what was on the shelves now! The staff had long since gone home or joined in and I could hear sirens but couldn't see any police. But what could they do to stop a hundred looters?

Grabbing a trolley I stuck behind Dad as we charged into the store. I could hear shouting and screaming coming from all directions, fighting for what food there was. All I could see was tipped shelves and broken glass scattered across the tilled floor even blood.

"Grab anything and everything that's canned or won't go off quickly!" My Dad shouted at me, starting to fill his own trolley.

Going slightly ahead I began rapidly grabbing the essentials, throwing them into my trolley as quickly as possible, my heart raising. It felt so wrong what we were doing but we had no choice, starve to death or face the reality of the situation. A guy began running down my isle straight at me and fast. Grabbing my axes I waved it skillfully hoping to prevent any attack. It seemed to work and he raced passed me with his hands razed. I quickly replaced my axes and went back to work pilling the trolley high with goods; we weren't going to run out of beans any time soon! Moving to the next aisle I stepped back in shock as I noticed a limp hand pocking out from under the shelves, sitting in a pool of blood. But before I could investigate I heard shouts from behind and turned around just in time to see someone jump my Dad. Picking up my axes I bolted down the aisle shouting like a mad man, wielding the axes over my head. The man's eyes went wide with fear and the struggle ended before I got there.

"Thanks, now get back before someone nicks your trolley!"

Nodding I ran back, adrenaline pumping through my veins, this was so messed up.

"INFECTED, INFECTED, INFECTED!"

Without warning I heard screams coming from everywhere and there was a mad rush for the door with what they had gathered. Scared I grabbed my trolley and began wheeling it down the lane but came to a sharp stop as the hand in the pool of blood began to move. A body began dragging its self out from under the unit drenched in blood it's face half missing. I recoiled in horror trying to pull the heavy cart away but it was too late. The thing charged at me its mouth hanging open screeching. Axes back in my hand I didn't hesitate to slam the blade into its face jarring my arm in the process, the resulting blow put an end to the...zombie? My dad came sliding round the bend.