Chapter 51 - Casino and Snow

Sorry for the late upload and short chapter, but next week will make up for it!
********************
Laying in the gloomy foyer I waited for one of the voices to fetch me, but no one came. Confused, I look threw the crack in the doorway, an expansive casino coming into view. I could see a small area lit a little ways off, several people standing aggressively in a heated argument.

I jumped, almost crying out as a hand reached out to take mine, Seth's face coming into focus. Begrudgingly I accepted it, allowing him to help me to my feet, and without a word we stepped into the haven.

"...What, so I should of watched them die instead, I had too do something."

"He's right Jj, besides we could do with a couple of extra hands."

"Have you seen our supplies recently, and you can shut it sis!"
Sheepishly we hugged the doorway, awkwardly waiting for them to notice us.

"Don't worry about them," a childish voice stated to the side of use.

Jumping for a second time, my eyes darted to the shadows. I could just make out a small person sat cross legged on a table.

Getting down, the young girl took a bite out of an apple before continuing. "Jj like's to think he's boss, but Mike could easy beat him in a fight. I'm snow by the way," she quickly added, skipping off towards the beacon of light, the bobble on the back of her hat innocently bouncing along behind her. I could tell I would like her, she was what, 12?

"Snow what have I told you about the food!"

Ignoring Jj she took another slow bite. "Our guests..." she announced with a mouthful, nodding towards us.

I suddenly felt naked, the four of them starring over at use, their leader Jj scowling. I could hear Seth next to me shuffling uncomfortably, his hand plunging into his pockets. It was odd seeing survivors outside of the camp, their faces dirty and drawn out, cloths as good as rags clinging half heartily to there skin.

"Thank you for saving use back there," I started, trying to sound grateful.
The bearded one named Mike nodded. "Your welcome." With a quick look at Jj he turned his back, beckoning us to follow.

With little choice we complied, awkwardly passing through the circle of light, a gas lamp marking the centre. Taking the time to look around I noticed several tables converted into make shift beds, this was there home, or at least it was for for now.

"So what brings you two out here?" he asked us, taking a seat with a sigh.
Looking over at Seth I quickly replied. "Looking for supplies, what about you?"

"Where you based then?" he continued, ignoring our question.

I debated telling the truth, but then again he did just save our life's. "Military camp."

I could hear someone laugh snidely behind me. "Seriously, the world is your oyster and you decide to be a slave to someone else!" It was Jj of course.

"They've kept us alive," Seth replied bluntly.

"Well if you wanna stick around your welcome too, we leave at dawn tomorrow. Other wise warn us before you leave so we can let you out," Mike offered, ending the conversation.

"You can come back to camp with use, its safe." I suggested.

Jj snorted of course. "Fat chance, how long do you think that places is gonna last before it gets run over. You're better off on the move."

I didn't push it. "If you don't mind well take are leave now then."

Mike razed an eye brow. "Too soon, they may be new borns but they'll still sense you."

"New borns?"

"The zombie things that where chasing you... they were never human, born in the sludgy remains of those too far gone to be 'reanimated'. They're faster and stronger in every way, and lucky for us, not to fond of the normal infected. New borns, like the once's you met are disorientated, takes them about a week to adjust." he spat, every word lathered with distain. "Cost too many lives to find that out."

"Guess that explains the ravine," Seth added. "Our doing or theres?"

"Is what, what ravine!?" he sat up more alert.

"Do they make the cesspits they spawn in..."

"Have you seen one!"

"There's one down the road... barely a mile away," I interjected, confused.

Mikes eyes bulged, the blood draining from his face before he leaped to his feet. "Jj we have to go now! Rose gather the supplies and get Snow." Looking down at Seth he noticed the mask. "I'd put that on if I was you."

"Whats going on, aren't we safe in here?" I asked, chasing after Mike.

"Lets just say that anyway near those things the virus is practically air born."

My heart did a jig. "But...but we were right next to it!"

"Or the more reason for us to go our separate ways." he snapped, busting threw a metal door leading to the flat roof of the building.