Chapter 23 - Over the Roof

We'd managed to find the staff room, washing the worst off the blood off with a little help from Jamie before we headed on. My arm now free, just incase we got into any more trouble.

Once we'd reached the third floor it wasn't long before we found a window that placed us directly on top of the school. Looking out at the cramped town, the sun on are backs.

"How long do you think we got?"

"Three, four hours max?" I replied. Walking to the edge.

"We got time. Sure is a good view though."

"Too quiet , it's weird not hearing the cars."

"I hear you. You see a church?"

"Not yet..." I answered, looking out into the town, searching for a steeple. It had to be around here somewhere!

"Other there! In front of the woods, no steeple, just a turret."

I turned to where she was pointing, squinting at the horizon. And there It was, it's wide turret poking out above the many rows of houses littering the ground. The only problem was, it looked a good couple of miles off!

"You sure that's the church he meant?" I asked.

"Only one I can see around so it must be."

I sighed."We better get going then, looks like where going to have to go through town centre."

"We need to find something to defend our selves with, we're not gong to make that distance without stumbling into the infected."

"We've been lucky so far..."

"So far... you know as well as I do how bad they can be. Especially if we meet a group of them, even guns won't stop a horde."

"Fine but let's be quick about it, we don't have long and as you said, nothing stops a horde."

She nodded, looking back towards the church one last time.

Swiftly we slipped back into the school making are way to the staff room.

"What we looking for, knifes and stuff for hitting?" I asked.

"Anything really, armour too." She whispered, opening the door.

I started off sifting through the draws, finding nothing more then a sharp pair of scissors. Jamie on the other hand managing to find a solid rounders bat. I ended up with a role of sellotape and a thick magazine, taping it to my arm for protection.

"Seriously?"

"Hay, I saw it on one of the zombie movies."

"Well if it saves your life."

Finishing our prep we left the room, heading downstairs to the nearest exit soon finding are self's outside in broad daylight. The playground was empty and deathly quite, not a person in sight.

"Which directions?"

"Ruffly that way..." She pointed with her bat into a maze of houses.

"Shall we?"

She nodded and we started jogging to the fence, scaling it with ease. Once over we continued on running though the silent streets eyeing every bend, every corner. I almost hoped Eve would run round the side and into use. Where was she! It was playing on my mind, the worry, was she alive? She had to be, but she was supposed to meet me at the school. The sooner we where back in camp the better!
*

We had navigated our way through the town for a good half an hour with nothing more then a couple of animals disturbing the heavy silence, slowing down to a gentle jog to catch our breath.