Chapter 15 - Open the Gate

"We will be going outside the fence, which means there is a possibility of infection and attack. It will need constant vigilance on your part as well as ours. We will only have ten soldiers so only one per team. If you see anything shout and run back towards the gates, we won't be going to far. Do not, whatever you do, try to attack the Infected unless it is unavoidable. Right, time we made our way down to the gates 3A!" Shouted officer Davies.

It only took us about 5 minutes to speed walk to the gate. In which time Sophie took to grilling me about my relationship stasis with Seth, and it felt like eternity. I must have gone redder then my ginger hair and all I could reply was 'I don't know' or 'it's too soon to tell' to most of what she was saying. Then that would set her off again on one of her rants. I kept phasing out and would eventually find myself staring at the back of Seth's head. He would turn round now and then, glance at Sophie, who would be deep in debate with herself about use. Then role his eyes with one of his heart melting smiles or a quick wink before turning back to continue his conversation with David. And then I would have to explain to Sophie why I was giggling. Gladly she fell silenced when we reached the tall Iron Gate. It towered over us topped with razor wire and looked as if it would take a small army to shift. We weren't the only group there ether. It looked as if all of field 3 where gathered in the cramped car park! Not including the soldiers marching too and throw, it all felt rather busy.

"Are you guys' one tent?" An officer asked, turning on our group.

"Yes, where from field 3," James answered.

"What group?"

"3A..."

The officer looked down at his at his clip board, running his pen along a long list of names and numbers. "Names?"

James listed all 10 of them with a little help from Elliot.

"Right your team 8, so if anyone asks your 3A8," and before we could reply he had rushed off into the crowed.

"What was that about?" I asked Sophie.

"Probably setting us into teams for logging, don't know why they didn't do it when they gave use are tent team."

"3A TO THE GATE!" Somebody shouted over a megaphone. "3A TO THE GATE!"

Making are way forwards at a snail's pass, we slowly moved towards the front.

"3A1 TO THE LEFT, 3A10 TO THE RIGHT!" Came the voice again over the crowed.

Eventually we push through into the coned off area, loosing most of our team as we went.

Leaving just Sophie and I glued together at the hand.

"Eve over there! Think I can see your boyfriend!"

Turning sharply, more to hide my blushing then anything, I saw some of our group lined up with a solider at the head. And off course Seth was there waving my way, much to Sophie's amusement.

"If you ever find a guy here I am going to tease the hell out of you!" I shot at Sophie through a smile as I waved back at Seth.

"I would expect nothing less!"

"What took you girls so long?" Seth jested with a toothy grin as we joined him.

"Some of use aren't as big and muscle as you are," Sophie responded playfully.

I sent her a death glare before taking my place next to Seth in the line, mine. We got told to stand in silence while we waited for the rest of the team to show up. But Sophie still manage to learn the name of the soldier, Jack. Eventually we were all gathered and he addressed use.