Chapter 40 - Changed

For the third and hopefully the final time of the evening I was ripped from where I stood, tumbling to the floor with a ginger bush shrouding my vision. It can't be... No, it wasn't possible!

"Seth!" It was her voice alright... Was I dead?

"Eve, how..." Before I could continue her lips crashed passionately into mine, pinning me down to the ground with her newly found strength. Hungrily I retaliated, pulling her closer, feeding both are desires. I never wanted to let go!

"Um, guys... Sorry to break the reunion, but we have to go... Like, right, NOW!"
We broke apart, but before I could even rise Eve was standing tall and proud, a revolver aimed skillfully at our Infected visitor. She didn't even flinch.

For the first time in a week I got a good look at Eve, the wind even obeying her, pushing back her hair to revealing her tempered gaze. It was obvious she hadn't been eating well, her prominent cheek bones drawing out her pale face. But what really took me back was her eyes, cold and hard, full of malice and disdain for the fleshy creature that stood before us. I could only imagine what she must of gone through, but what had it done to the girl I once knew.

Suddenly the weapon jumped in her hand, letting off a shriek as it felled its target. Eve, then striding forwards, pistol still raised in front of her. Her whole stance oozed purpose and control, not an ounce of fear escaping her form.

With one quick motion she drew a heavy dagger, forcing it down into its convulsing body, twisting the blade until it died. Giving it a quick clean, she carefully replaced it, looking up at me with a smile.

I was still on the floor, in shock, practically gawking at her. What had I just witnessed.

"What you starring at, call yourself a man!" she Jested, walking casually back towards us. The fire behind me reflected off her body, emphasizing every feature... some how.... It frighted me.

"You have a gun!" Jamie stated. "Since when did you become so awesome!" She laughed, running over to embrace her.

"I had a good teacher." she beamed, returning the gesture with a glance at me. "I'll introduce you to him tomorrow, or though I don't think he'll be very happy with me."

"Why's that." I asked, getting to my feet.

"Kind of left him in the car at the gate, he's incapacitated, so he won't be going far."

"Eve over here!" It was Sophie.

"What have you done to yourself!" Eve asked, rushing over to say hello.

"Mutated Infected sent me flying, how are you alive."

"Now that's a story for another night, lets get you guys somewhere safe first."

Before I could even go over to help, Eve had her up and was beginning to hobble away, leaving Jamie and I jogging after her. "Where we heading?" I asked.

"The cabins, it's are best change. Do you two want to take Sophie in case we run into trouble."

"Can do!" Catching up we both took a side, Eve leading us further away from the chaos knife in one had, pistol in the other. Every part of my body ached, both physically and mentally, Eves presence only adding to my confusion.

Very quickly we descended into utter darkness, the beating of our hearts overpowering the sound of the grim reapers victims... Well, at least those who were lucky.

Raising her arm, Eve brought us to an abrupt stop, hearing something we obviously didn't, her body tensing. Holding my breath I cocked my head, a deep, shallow growl slowly caressing my ears, before out of the shadows, it emerged.

To think it was once a man surpassed me, its shear size dwarfing that of all of us put together, its muscles distorted and stretched across exposed bone. It moved with less haste, its yellow eyes entirely devoted to Eve, and yet no matter how hard I tried I could not move. To say I was afraid would be a vast understatement, even my voice failed me. I could only watch as it approached Eve... hesitantly, as if in curiosity, as a child would to an ants nest, studying her with its dead eyes. It looked more confused than I felt, leaning in gently closer and closer, my heart beating faster and faster. What on earth was it doing!

Feeling the anger free my mind, I fought against the invisible bonds that paralyzed me, the beast suddenly diverting its attention from Eve, its confusion turning to rage. With a roar like thunder it bolted for me, a quieter yet just as authoritative shriek following in its wake.

I caught the look of shock on the monster's face as is turned up soil to come to a stop, merely inches from where I stood, quickly looking back at Eve like a dog would its master.

With an ear splitting crack, the sky rained red, and I fell to the floor shortly followed by the mutant, the ability to move returning.

Eve loomed over me, her hand out stretched, her eyes momentarily betraying her screaming out for help before returning to there cold doppelgängers. There was something very wrong with Eve, that much I knew with a surety.

Accepting her hand, she hauled me to my feet, quickly moving on to help the others, giving them small words of encouragement before we continued on are journey. I could tell by the silence that everybody was questioning the events that had occurred, the creatures reaction to Eve, and the beast its self! They where evolving.