Chapter 38 - Reunion

"Seth no, you have any idea how selfish that is! What about use, you thought about that?"

"What about you guys?" I sulked quietly, trying not to wake anyone.

"We need you, we've already lost one person and we're not loosing another."

"Shes still alive..."

"How do you know that! It been three/four days. Its practically suicide, you think thats what she would of wanted?"

"But..."

"No buts, you don't think I cared about her too?"

"You try loosing your best friend, you only just met her!"

"Enough time to get to know her," she sighed. "Look, at least think it through logically and think about what you've got here, not forgetting your real family."

"The longer I wait, the more likely shes..."

"Dead, I know. Just promise me you won't do anything stupid." I could tell she was starting to get annoyed.

I took a moment before replying, crossing my fingers under the sleeping bag. "I promise."

"Good, now get some sleep!" Sophie finished, turning away from me.

"Yes Mum!"

*

The foremost thing I noticed when I woke up was... wait... is that...? I propped myself up, looking questionably over at Sophie, who returned the look. "Am I just hearing things?"

"I can hear it too..." We both glanced at the entrance, hesitating.
Grabbing a pair of trousers, we bunny hop raced to the flaps, falling through the opening with a laugh.

"What on earth are you two doing!" Jamie complained, from back inside.

"Can you not hear that!" I shouted, righting myself before jogging towards the source, Sophie hot on my heals. Leaping over line and tent, we made our way skillfully through the maze, attempting to reach the edge, it was coming from the main field!

All around us I could see others emerging from their homes, some even cheering when they realized what it was, joining Sophie and I in a mad race for a view. As we approached the road, I could see a crowd already forming, the obvious look of shock and excitement plastered across their faces.

Reaching the summit, I push to the front, gasping at what it revealed. The whole
area had been transformed into what could only be described as a... party island? The one small hut being modified to resemble a stage, pumping out the music we could hear, and then the lake! The lake was full of inflatable water slides and a whole number of buoyancy's, It was unbelievable! Not only that, we weren't the first once's to arrive, not including the soldiers of course. From what I could see I would bet a days rations that they were our parents, awkwardly milling a small distance off. Some of them must of spotted there 'kids', waving furiously our way, looking to the soldiers dotted about.

"Where did they get all this stuff?" I asked.

"Who cares, this is awesome!"

"WHAT ARE YOU GUYS WAITING FOR, THE END OF THE WORLD? GET OVER HERE!" A soldier shouted over the megaphone, resulting in a wild cheer erupting from the gathered mob, and without a seconds notice we were swept up in the stampede. Those parents that had plainly been waving following suit.

Even though I couldn't see my parents, or anything more than the body's around me for that matter. I could feel their joy, they're happy cries sparking in all directions, and yet something was missing inside me. You would probably think me a fool for saying it, but I can't deny how I feel. To the point where I almost felt like a bystander, Eve playing on my mind. I had never lost anyone in that way before, I'd lost my grandparents a couple of years back, but I never really knew them.