Chapter 55 - Back Stabbed (END OF BOOK 1)

I could feel something tearing at my back, a deep red hot pain consumed my mind and body. I cried out but no sound escaped. My world had narrowed to the burning throb that blanketed my body and left my conscious on the brink of madness. With what sanity I had left, I reached back to asses the damage, feeling the hot sticky blood that now clad my skin. Threw tears of pain I gasped out a cry for help, darkness still surrounding me. Wait... was I Infected?

"...Seth?" Someone mumbled. "Go back to sleep!"

I chocked on my on voice, I was still in the 'tent'! Reaching out for Eve I felt nothing but air, in a final effort I threw myself towards Jamie practically blacking out.

"What the...?" I felt a hand brush my blood soaked flesh before she squealed, rapidly retreating.

"Ja-mie..." I managed, my lips protesting.

The rest of the tent were beginning to awake at this point, somebody getting out a torch and aiming it at me. Where did they even get a torch from? I heard several gasps.

"SETH!" Jamie shouted, rushing back towards me.

"Wait what if he's infected!" one of them quickly brought up.

"Does he really look infected to you!" Jamie shrilly replied, moping away at the blood with a rogue top. "What on Earth have you done!"

I hissed, my body tensing as she brushed the source.

"Then what happened and where's Eve, where you attacked?" James questioned.

Before I could attempt a reply there came a scream from outside. "LET ME GO!" it was Eve.

Sophie was out of the shelter like a bullet, flinging the blankets that we used as doors into the night. "OY!" She shouted. It was then we saw the solider tackling Eve.

Somehow I found myself on my feet, my body feeling foreign and heavy having gone numb from the heavy doses of agony.

"No, you need a doctor you'll bleed out!" Jamie cried.

Stumbling drunkly and stubbornly out the tent, I kept the struggling image of Eve in my site, several soldiers battling to restrain her.

With an inhuman scream of frustration she bites at her attacker, ripping a chunk of skin out! The others hesitate and by the time they recover it's too late. I only saw the glint of a knife as in danced in Eves hand, carving up the assault party like pigs in a slaughter house. Their bodies dropped like stones, leaving Eve standing proudly in the middle, pale pace reflecting the moonlight. Her eyes suddenly dart to mine, catching my gaze.

I flinch back, Sophie's supporting hand being the only think keeping me from tumbling to the floor. What had I just witnessed!

"Seth... I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to!"she faltered, her face softening.

Confused, I starred blankly at her. Why was she apologising to me? I looked from her to the knife in her, to the bodies that littered the floor then back at the knife. I could feel the adrenaline wearing off, the pain in my back crawling into my mind. MY BACK! "It... it was you!" I spluttered. I couldn't believe it, she had tried to kill me! I could see the pain in her face. "W-why?"

"I..." But before she could finish she collapsed, a white feathered dart imbedded in her neck. A woman with deep red lipstick stepped out of the shadows, holstering a dart gun.

"See how easy it can be!" She muttered, to nobody in particular.
I didn't know what to think, my mind was torn with pain, confusion and fear. All I could do was look at that the still form of Eve as more soldiers came to retrieve her.

"What are you going to do with her!" Sophie piped up.

The woman looked down at use, almost startled that we would even dare address her. "Let me see," she gave the mock impression of thinking. "What ever I want!"

"You were the ones who attacked her!"

The woman approached use, her demeanour suddenly serious. "Puts it this way little one, there is nothing you can do about, if anything I'm doing you a favour, she's infected. Look at your friend here for instant, she did this to him." She said patronisingly giving my back and quick pat making me whimper, and with out another word walked away. I could feel Sophie fuming next to me. "Oh and take boy to the infirmary." She ordered the remaining men. "He'll need putting under."

Before I could even resist, two men had grabbed me and there was a sharp pinch. The last thing I remember seeing was a set of yellow eyes staring at me from the shadows.

*

When I next awoke I thought it was the drugs wearing off, if only. My body was being ruffly pulled out of the hospital bed by... Jamie? What now! As much as I was 'awake' I had no control of my body, but at the same time there was no pain. Darkness swiftly moved back in, the anaesthetic dragging me back into a dreamless sleep.

*

I felt the muddy ground meet me like a soft feather mattress after along day, my eyes temporally flickering open. Everything was sideways, the sounds distance as if they were being heard threw a tunnel.

Suddenly something fast and grey leapt over my still form its boney face whipping back round to meet my eyes. It was the infected from the city! Every alarm bell went off in my head but still my body wouldn't respond, my eyelids were already beginning to close! I could sense the monster sniffing, drawing closer and closer. Before the blackness completely reclaimed me I distinctly remember something flat and solid knocking the creature out of my view and a blooded  Sophie looking worriedly down at me.

"It's going to be..."

*

I could feel the fire caressing my face, beating away at the chill that had previously been there. My body... Well the good news was I could feel it, but the bad news was... I could feel it. Every bone and muscle was screaming "What have we done to deserve this?!" In unison. I fought my eyes open, giving my toes and fingers and quick wiggle which ended up being a twitch.

"You awake Seth?" Jamie whispered tiredly.

I grumble my reply, the small fire in front of me consuming my vision.

"Let's see if we can prop you up," her voice sounded next to me.

With a grunt she heaved me up right and I managed to keep myself that way with a little effort. I blinked rapidly, my eyes adjusting to the makeshift camp. I could now see a few others sleeping around the fire, mainly: the twins, James and Sophie. There cloths torn and bloody, blankets better described as rags covered what they could.

"W-at happened" I managed, finding my voice.

END OF BOOK 1

***************  AUTHORS NOTE *********
Thank you so much for reading my book, I hope you have enjoyed it! Thank you for those who have stuck with me all the way and put up with my my spelling and grammar, and thank you for all your votes and comments. I can barely believe the amount of support I have received and can never thank you readers enough! For the next two years I am serving a mission for the LDS church so I will not be able to accesses wattpad. Originally this book is going to be one big book, but because of my mission and having only written so far, I thought this was an appropriate place to leave it. Book 2 will return in 2018 and I will go threw the first one (this one) with a fine tooth comb and correct spelling and grammar with the help of an editor if i can find one!

 I can not thank you enough! And a special thanks to MaryEden08 for motivating me to write and finish my first ever book, with out her this book would never of even started!