Chapter 20 - Small Town Girl

"ROAR!"

Seth flipped out, sending himself flying down the stairs with out a moments hesitation, landing in a heap at the bottom before he realised.

I was in tears, his face! Priceless.

"You have got to be kidding me!" He groaned, attempting to get back to his feet. "Not funny!"

I was on the floor now holding my burning sides as fits of laughter flew over me wave after wave.

"Like how do you think I'm going to react if you do something like that out here! I will get my revenge."

I could hear him making his way back up the stairs, but I was in no state to react to what happened next. Suddenly I was pulled over and bombarded with ticklish jabs as he attacked my sides with his only arm, making me laugh even harder. I attempted to resist but there was no use, he'd got me. Concentrating, I managed to rap my arms round his neck and pull him on top of me, but that only seemed to make it worse! Now he has full access to my torso and he was taking full advantage of it. Fighting through the fits of laughter, I managed to roll him over before planting my lips on his, stopping his hand in its track. Gotcha! I closed my eyes embracing the familiar butterflies that flew through me, letting are instincts take over once again.

From behind us came a loud thud and are lips where suddenly separated as, what was left of a girl, fell into hallway. It took me a second to realised I was screaming while Seth practically dragged me down the stairs, the 'girl' biting at are tails. We made it to the front door as the monster hit the landing with a crash, reaching out for are legs.

Before we could turn the handle the door was flung open and we where ruffly haled out into the streets. Followed by the deafening ring of gunfire echoing down the road piecing are ears. I could see the others filtering out of the houses now, like frighten animals looking wildly round.

"RUN YOU FOOLS RUN!"

It sound more like a whisper then a shout as Jack bolted out the building, bloody and angry, my ears still ringing.

"RUN!"

Still disorientated I looked at him oddly, run, why?! And then I saw them. Falling out of windows, thundering through doors and appearing out of the long grass ...the infected. There wasn't many, but enough too send me flying down the nearest side street driven by fear, Seth's hand still attached to mine.

"MEET... at... CHURCH,"

Was the last thing we heard as the rest of the team disappeared behind us. How we where going to find them again I didn't not know. But all that mattered now one was loosing the infected before they realised we where there. If only it was that easy.

Looking back I noticed three of those things in hot pursuit, running like mad men towards us.
"Seth!"

"I know!" He spluttered keeping his eyes set dead ahead.

"You know... We ...can't out...run them," I barely managed to say. I could already see them gaining heavily on us. This scene was starting to become way too common.

"The... school!"

Looking ahead I noticed the high, green fence that we where heading strait for. There didn't seem to be a way in. "We gonna make it?"

"We have to..." He muttered, letting go of my hand and racing ahead with inhuman speed.

I could hear the ragged breath of the creatures behind us, snaring like a pack of dogs. I didn't dare look back. In front of me Seth had finally made it to green mesh with a leap and was awkwardly pulling himself up with one arm, somehow managing to get his leg over and prop himself up on top. How he did it I would never know.

"COME ON!"

Daring to look back, I realised with a Jolt how close they really where. I could smell there rotting breath, it made me want to throw up. Putting on a extra burst of speed I sudden realised that I wouldn't make it up the fence, in time to get high enough, they where too close. "I'm not gonna make it! I screamed trying to keep a strait face.

"Don't say that! Come on Eve!" I could hear his voice faltering.

"Their...too close!"

"You can make it!"

"I can't... I'll find another... way round." I sounded more confident then I felt.

"EVE!"

With a cry I turned sharply, running parallel to the fence ignoring the burn in my side.

"OVER HERE YOU FREAKS!" I could hear him shout, desperately banging the fence with his bag.

Looking back I noticed one of them attempting to climb the fence after Seth, the other two faltering for a second before one locked eyes with me letting of a loud piercing shriek. I turned back to the path ahead my body protesting more by the second.