Chapter 43 - The Woman With the Red Lipstick

Every one heard it, how could you not. It cut through the air like a knife and it just screamed torment. Without thinking I dropped the body I was disposing of and bolted towards the cry, I wasn't the only one. I just hopped that it wasn't one of those things!

With the epicentre in sight I was forced to slow down, the mask restricting my breathing. It had already become uncomfortably hot and sticky, the lenses misting up. In an effort to get to the scene faster, I managed to loosen the apparatus, freeing my face. The sunlight was almost blinding and I'd forgot how easy it was to breath. Indulging myself for a second, I sped back up, converging on the cabin. Taking a closer look I noticed someone at the door, someone... ginger!

No, please don't be Eve!

Who ever it was didn't even make it down the stairs before crumbling to the ground, my suppositions were soon confirmed. Spurring on I was beaten by a similarly masked individual, Joining him as he removed his unit.

"It cant be!"

"Jack, that you?"

"Yeah, but more importantly how on earth is she alive!" Jack stated, referring to the unconscious Eve.

"She got back last night, she alright?"

With bated breath he checked her pulse, searching her skin for any marks. Finding her hand bandaged up, he tensed slowly unwinding the rag. I didn't remember seeing that last night.

Coming to the bloody end of the fabric we found the skin untouched, which in a way was unexpected. Why would you wrap your hand in a stained rag?

"She's clean but I still want a doctor to check her out. Look in the building to see if their was anyone else."

Nodding, I hopped up the stairs, pressing the mask into place before entering. Even with it filtering the air I could smell the decay, It was times like this I wished I had an air tank. As my eyes adjusted I had the odd feeling I had been here before, the dead coming into view. My heart sunk, It was the cabin from last night! Why would she come back here?

Doing a finale sweep to make sure no one alive was in here, I quickly left. There was already a small crowed gathered to see what had happened, Jack looking expectantly up at me.

I shook my head, removing the mask. And another thing that troubled me, why had she scream, and why so demonically? This was woman who had been living out in the world for almost a week, you would of thought they'd seen something a lot worse then a room full of bodies.

"Alright guys get back to work! There's nothing to see here!" One of the soldiers shouted, dispersing the crowed.

"Where you taking her" I asked Jack as he began to lift her up.

"The infirmary, military side of the camp. Don't worry she'll be safe, now get back to work."

"Can I not come with you!" I begged. I had lost her once, I wasn't about to loose her again.

"You'll be of more use here cleaning up, you can see her latter," and without further comment he was off.

Holding my tongue, I regrettably retreated, remembering the last time I tried defying him.

"Seth!"

Taking my eyes off Jack, I turned to who was calling. "Jamie? Jamie! Why on earth was Eve over here!"

"She went to find Will." she managed catching her breath.

"The guy she came in with?"

"Yeah, but there's something else I got to tell you."