Chapter 41 - A Dark Room

"Please, you have to..."

CRACK! Before I could even finish my plea, Eve had smashed through the log cabin door with one brutal kick, slipping in through the dark doorway, revolver raised. For a second the world held its breath, the shadows completely engulfing Eve. I thought there were people in...

With an ear splitting bang the room was momentarily lit up, a freeze frame of three or more infected creatures surrounding Eve, dead doctors littering the ground. Quickly darkness took its place the image bored into my mind, but swiftly it was replaced by another, the pistol ringing out again. One down, two to go.

I felt helpless, standing on the sideline, not knowing what to do. Everything was happening so quickly around me that fear eventually forced me back into the night, leaving me standing with the other two, silence soon falling over the small hut.

Hesitantly, I took a step forwards, a hand stopping me from going any further.

"You don't know what's in there..." Jamie whispered.

"You've seen what she can do."

"That's exactly my point, you may not want to see what's in there."

I shrugged her hand off, giving her a knowing look before timidly walking up to the void.

Allowing my eyes to adjust to the dimly lit room, I waited on the boarder "Eve..." I whispered.

Nothing responded, nothing but the beating of my heart and that small voice inside my head muttering..."It's too late."

Taking one last look at my friends I ventured inside, the wind instantly dissipating to a quiet breath, even the gunfire seemed to die down, allowing my senses to heighten.

The first thing that really hit me was the smell, which could only be described in one way, death. I could almost taste the blood that shone off every surface, countless bodies coming into focus, too far gone to be anything but dead. I had to pull my top over my face to even brave going deeper, attempting not to look at the disfigured corpses. She could be one of them. "Eve..."

"... Here..."

Jumping, I peered towards where the voice had come from, the sound of a match being struck shortly following.

A little spec of light came into bloom lighting the blood stained face of Eve, her blues eyes reflecting the yellow flame, staring straight back into my mine.

"You okay...?" My voice faulted, the familiar urge to run resinating through my mind. I was oblivious to world, there was only the darkness, the flickering face of Eve, and the hypnotic sound of dripping.

"Are you afraid of me..." she barely whispered. Her rosy lips spelling out every syllable, enticing me.

I opened my mouth to reply but no words came out, her face coming closer and closer. I could see small buds of water flower in her eyes dribbling down her tender cheek before falling into the abyss below.

"Are you..." she repeated, her face so close that I could smell the sweat that mixing with the blood on her face.

I managed to shake my head ever so slightly, my eyes not leaving hers. She lent in closer, her breath teasing my ear.

"Well you should be." With a loud thud, something heavy dropped from her hand hitting the ground before she flung her arms around me and burst into tears.

The dripping stopped.

Relaxing, I slowly embraced her, my mind miles away in deep contemplation. What had come over her? "Come, we can't stay in here.

She nodded, drawing away from me, avoiding eye contact. Talking her hand, I lead her towards the exit, pulling her out into the moonlight. "She's alright guys, told you so!"

"How come you guys are coming out?"

"Bit of a mess in there, lets find somewhere else."

Jamie looked questionably at me, glancing at Eve.

I shrugged, gesturing we should go.

With one last disapproving look at Eve, Jamie moved to Sophie's side and together, the four of use, stumbled into the darkness once again.

*

As the night wore on, we kept to the fence line of the camp. The Infected in time filtering towards the main field. We could hear the battle raging on, the tanks and artillery ringing out throughout the night. Why we just didn't leave the camp surpassed me, then again, where would we go.