Chapter 9 - The Camp

I will warn you its a long chapter! I tried to split it down but it was no use. Anyway happy new year! :) And as always, enjoy!
**********************************************

"Wakey wakey sleepy heads get up before I get you up!" Was the first thing I heard as I opened my eyes, the sun just tipping over the horizon.

Shacking off the sleep I got out my sleeping bag and took a look around. We had just slept in what appeared to be an old wooden hut composed of one large room and a kitchen, I read on a door nearby. Through the many windows I could see several other huts lined up against a dirt track surrounded by large trees. It almost felt like a scout camp.

"Okay this is how it's going to work people, I want you to all to pack your sleeping bags and keep hold of them before following me down to the main field." Boomed the Military man who had awoke us. "Quickly now, you got a long day ahead!"

As quickly as I could I stuffed my sleeping bag back into its thin bag looking to see If I could find my Dad, but I couldn't seem to find him. It was extremely crowed in here! People where starting to move out following the officer who had already left not bothering to wait. I Hurried out not wanting to be left behind. But as I left the door I felt a sharp pain shooting through my right arm making me drop the sleeping back. Confused I tried picking it up again but it only resulted in more pain in my right arm. So I picked it up with my left with no problem what so ever. As I ran to catch up with the others I rolled up my shirt sleeve and noticed a faint swelling, I must of damaged it yesterday when I jarred in on the infected guys head. I would of been too pumped up on adrenaline to notice. Then I realized that was also the arm I fractured on the train. Great. I flexed my fingers stretching it, I was going to have to see a Doctor about this. For now I would have to wait to ask where I could find one.

As we walked down to the field I finally got a change to look at the place I would be staying for who knows how long. At the moment we where strolling down a large rocky track running strait through the camp. On one side I saw several well maintained fields divided by tree lines and on the other a cluster of trees hiding the huts we stayed in last night. It was kind of exiting, I liked an adventures and I didn't mind sleeping on a hard floor which was probably a big advantage in a situation like this, I served my time well in scouts.

We soon joined another path, turning right then left after a short distance joining many other tired people heading to what the man called the 'main field', this place was huge! After another 5 minutes, give or take, we headed over a small wooden bridge. A narrow steam flowed underneath and running through a field and around the forest to my right.

I came to a sudden stop in awe as the scene that lay before me revealed itself. The stream eventually spilled into a large sparkling lake, a deep green forest holding it at its centre. The sky polished off the view with bright yellows and oranges teasing the sun over the tree line and mixing with the simmering lagoon. Strait in front of it, a large field lead too it edge and also appeared to be where we were all heading. Eventually gathering round the small hut that was set slightly back from the lake edge. I had never seen so many people gathered together in one place at once, how I was supposed to find my family let alone Eve!

"Gather round everyone, quickly now!" I heard someone boom over a megaphone.

Getting closer I noticed some one standing on the porch of the hut slightly raised above the crowed in military attire. After several minutes, the flow of people had quenched and he began to speak once more.
"I am Major General Warren, and I have been put in charge of this facility. What I say is law, any disobedience will result in punishment. Your cooperation is key to the survival of all us and so I will not hesitate to throw out, any man or woman who deems them self higher than the law. That being said the rules are simple. You are to be in your tents by 9, you will do everything you are ordered without question and finally you will not steal from or harm any other person in this facility. Punishment is the whip; any continues rule braking will result in being thrown out. That does not mean you are forced to stay, you can leave whenever you want but you may never come back. I only say these things to protect you not to make your lives miserable. For this operation to work we must work together as one to survive and not as individuals. You will be split into age groups and abilities and be designated a field to live on and a Captain who will be in charge of you, he will also brief you on some of the finer details and answer any questions. Now can I first have all the 16 to 25 year olds head to field 3 which is directly behind you and in the far right corner? If I find anyone in the wrong group you will automatically be evicted, we do not have the time or the luxury to be messing around. I repeat 16 to 25 year olds to field 3, you are under Captain Harrison."