B2, Chapter 10: Returning to the mansion (Part 2)

There are many variations of beasts that are tamed or reared as war mounts in Saint Empire. Just like the black lion mount ridden by the official conferrer is a rare and majestic breed.

However, among all the battle types, there is no doubt that the Dragon Horses takes centre stage on the battlefield. Not only are their individual combat abilities all-rounded, but they also number more than any other war mounts in the empire because of their virility.

But because of their great efficiency for war, this breed has become restricted only to the use of nobles and the officials. Violation of any form is strictly punishable by death.

It can even be said that the number of Dragon Horses a noble family have is a good indication of their strength. When the stewards of the Hope mansion saw the Dragon Horse approach with the guardsmen of the magistrate office in tow, they knew that things have snowballed.

Like panicked fowl, they scatter to seek their master. And a few minutes later, Cannot Hope rode out of his mansion in haste to receive them.

When the master of the house saw Kairos, a flit of annoyance flashed across his face first followed by a look of surprise. But as expected of a master merchant, the speed where he suppressed his facial emotions is fast as lightning.

"Didn't the boy get badly wounded?" He thought.

The old ancestor of the house, his father, has told him that the intruder's injuries were rather extensive. He was confident that with such powerful internal injuries, it would be impossible for anyone to recover.

But right now, looking at Kairos' healthy complexion, Cannot Hope can no longer be certain if the intruder is this boy.

From the beginning of their battle till the end, no one had actually seen the person's face. The only time when the Grand Patriarch came face to face with the intruder was after he was cornered, but at that time, Kairos had blood caked on his face with soil and grass from tumbling covering him. Even if an expert's eyes are great, in that darkness that cloaked everything, it was enough to conceal his identity.

Looking at their openly confused expression, Kairos secretly smiled, though his face revealed nothing.

This uncertainty is precisely what he had hoped for. Their guesses mattered not for himself, but the same couldn't be said for his sworn brother, Jim.

While Kairos was busy in his thoughts, the merchant said obviously irate, "Why are you gentlemen by my gates?

It didn't take more than two brain cells to guess that the motives of these 'guests' are less than friendly.

In response, the captain of the guardsman rode forward and addressed the merchant with a contrived arrogance, "Mr Hope, we have been informed of your activity in evading the crown taxes."

The veins on his forehead almost popped when he heard this rudeness, but nevertheless, he answered coolly, "That's the first time I hear a word of this. Have you got any evidence?"

"It's our job to find some. You better hope that you snipped off every loose end because we will find it. Now, would you kindly open your gates," the captain said with open glee. He looked at the head of the Hope family like a pouch for his taking.

"Have you got the authority to search my abode?" the merchant said, an underlying urgency hidden beneath his voice.

The guardsman flashed a tax collection token and grinned wickedly. When Cannot Hope saw it, his face turned grim.

By now, things could not get any clearer for him, that these men are hardly 'gentleman'. They are akin to robbers and frauds, and Kairos is the one that had set them loose upon his house.