Chapter 48: On the path towards conquering the 9 heavens!

Their arrows shot out from the hill and immediately struck down the front ranks of the charging Orcs. The beasts had belatedly raised their shields, and being so close to the hill, the arrows pierced deeply into them, turning the front row into pin cushions.

Fearless in the face of death, the Orcs stepped over their fallen ones and continued to charge forward, but they only met with an endless stream of arrows. Shields shattered, and more fell. Until finally the first wave managed to reach and crashed into the steel gate protecting the puny humans huddled up within the cave.

The War Beasts savagely shoved and smacked the barrier causing it to tremble with strain, but the sturdy metal held fast.

Kairos stood just behind the reinforced bars, staring directly at the savage brutes. He was unnervingly silent and calm, and in his hand, he held a metal ring attached to a chain. Despite their frenzy, the Orcs felt their instincts crying out for them to run.

But at this moment, the boy tugged at the ring, and a set of long spikes on the gate shot out, impaling the great beasts mercilessly.

The students stared wide-eyed at the unbelievable, and ghastly, sight. They carefully observed the metal covering once more and realised that there were contraptions fitted all over.

The traps slide back on itself, dragging the bodies towards the gate. The bloody gore caused even the Orcs to pale in fear, and a few tried scurrying away, but a single snort from their leader sent them scuffling forward once again. In the race of warriors, many rights had to be earned by strength, and that includes the right to live.

Being at the lowest caste of the Orcs, these unfortunate ones at the front-most faced death no matter charging forward or retreating, but these simple-minded brutes mustered their courage and chose honour.

They stormed the gates once again, knowing they will surely die.

But this time, even before they came close, the spikes shot out and killed another row.

These beasts might have hoped that by giving up their lives, they could usher the army forward by a step. The truth, however, was the complete opposite. Ironically, their lifeless bodies were dragged back to line the gate, becoming a shield for their enemies, and any that tries to remove the corpses quickly become one when sets of spikes claim more lives.

The situation immediately turned into an impasse. The D ranked Orcs behind could not stay back any longer. No matter how many grunts and peons they throw at the death-trap, it would serve no purpose.

A towering War Chief volunteered itself and led the way. Covered with a thick coat of magic barrier, the Orc went forward fearlessly and picked up several bodies that with a flick of its arms are thrown away like trash.

The spikes trap immediately sprung forth, piercing through any flesh that are in its way. However, the War Chief did not even flinch as the spikes struck it.

*Tonk*

The spikes that struck the Orc's barrier caused low resounding clank, and instead, it was the gate that shuddered.

However, despite how menacing the three-metered green skin was, Kairos did not even blink an eye. Before the first set of spikes could retract itself, another row of long, spear-like, points mercilessly shot out with another tug on the chain.

The attack merely stripped off some bits of the barriers on the Or, but at the same time, Kairos shouted, "Fire!"

Immediately, over twenty arrows shot out. The majority were aimed at the large Orc War Chief, to wear down its armour even quicker.