Chapter 79: Trade fair (Part 5)

A great rousing cheer erupted from the crowd at the end of their contest. No matter what was the cause of this bet, the result itself is too huge for anyone to stay calm. More precisely, the anti-seal weapon that Kairos created had sent a chill down their spines and at the same time caused their blood to boil with exhilarating anticipation.

Their hype which had been building up since the auction had been mercilessly intensified by the chain of events, till this exact moment where many simply keeled over.

This is a weapon that could change the entire market!

Hearing all these fawning over Kairos, Calculus' face turned bright red with anger. A mighty bloodlust rose up within him, but when he glared at Kairos, he saw a flash of light reflected off the boy's clear black eyes.

Within that gleam, Calculus saw a pair of dragons with a terrifying visage that stared right back.

He involuntarily took a step back in shock.

"We are withdrawing," he said with an uncertain voice. For the first time since he confronted Kairos, he felt inferior, like a subject looking up at his sovereign.

Helplessly outmatched, it was the one thing that he could not accept, but for a single moment, he felt natural for Kairos to be above him. There is no wonder that uncertainty suddenly entered his heart.

"Hold on," Jones said before the Devilheart family could retreat.

"Yeah! You wouldn't want to die for your pride right?" Jim added in.

"Tch. Jim, Jones, you shouldn't have reminded him," Edward said coolly.

The matter-of-factly tone that the archer used had no bloodlust at all, but somehow that unnatural calmness in his voice sent a chill down all that heard.

After Calculus' underhanded methods time and time again, even a pacifist like him felt extremely pissed off.

He looked furiously at Calculus, straight in the eyes, and for the second time today, Calculus took a step back with instinctual fear, like being marked by a powerful predator.

Yes, fear.

The young arrogant noble had felt the intensity of Kairos' dominating power which made him felt as if he is unworthy to be in his presence but Edward made him desperately wanting to flee.

A distant memory recalled in his mind like a flash.

He had sliced at Edward's neck back at the training grounds, attempting to kill Edward in order to hurt Kairos.

Suddenly, the image switched about, and the scene turned into him facing the strike at his neck. But unlike how Edward had easily dodged the deathblow from a dead angle, he realised that he could not avoid that strike.

In his imagination, it only took a split second for his head to fly off when facing such an attack.

There is a good reason why during the exam previously, the Orcs had instinctively considered the archer a dangerous opponent.

With eyes wide with anger, Edward finally stopped suppressing his internal rage.

"Slap or die," He said.

He is referring to the condition set on the soul stone for the bet, but Calculus' mind was replaying the scene with his head flying off.

*THWACK*

"I apologise. IS THIS ENOUGH?" Calculus shouted with fury the rage roused by the shame his own cowardice.

"All of you. I remember what happened today. You will..." His trembling feet caused him to fall face first, cutting off his words. Not that anyone cared to listen.