Chapter 8: First assignment

Hearing what George asked of Kairos' team, the other captains nodded in staunch agreement. They have all seen how swiftly this group that only bore the J Rank's badges jump into action when no one else could react.

All it took was a single phrase from George to win over everyone with this decision: "Invincibility lies in defence. Possibility of victory in attack. That's why we are sending you out."

It is rare that a commander would take a gamble with low rankers like this, especially for the first order on the field. If Kairos' group failed it would no doubt reflect badly on George, but after the previous battle where the team splendidly repelled the sneak attack, everyone's impression of Kairos and team's ability has already changed.

As the five departed for their mission with a sack of equipment, George started taking control with deft and precise instructions. The Red Team must fight against time to properly erect a fortified camp that could cut off the enemy's access to the East Hill.

.....

As the five boys entered the forest, Alan and Kairos immediately took to the front leading the group as scouts, Edward and Jim who have support roles in the middle, and Tommy who is the toughest of the group followed closely behind.

While they move towards the estimated location of their targets, Edward busied himself by setting devices among the trees, and Jim assisted him by planting explosives in hollowed trees. Because of their lack of skill, the group's progress had to slow down significantly, but they know that preparation will always defeat solution.

It took them the better of an hour to delve deeper into the woods where the Blue Team's main unit are operating.

Kairos stopped his group and began preparing his weapon, "There are people ahead. Some daredevils had ventured too far and separated from their group. We have about three minutes to take them down before they are able to re-join their friends. Get ready guys." Though this is his first exploit as their captain, Kairos felt surprisingly calm.

"Hold on, how far away are they?" Alan asked, stunned. Though the both of them are scouts, Alan couldn't detect their targets at all. But thinking about it, he realises it is unsurprising, since Kairos being the one that taught him his role as recon, can read the signs in the forest better. And, Kairos' connection to the heavens and the Earth is also much stronger than the others on the team, granting him a better range in Soul Perception.

"I estimate them to be about 300 meters away. We will rush to within a hundred meters and then sneak up on them."

300 Meters?!

The group gasped. They all had the same technique, but compared to Kairos, the others only have a very limited range of soul perception. Even Alan who discovered a talent for scouting could barely manage a little over a hundred meters' distance.

They sprang into action like a gale blowing across the forest. All of them moved far quicker than their ranks suggest, though they are not using any movement techniques. Their overall abilities improved greatly since they picked up the new cultivation method.

Additionally, they became exceptionally sensitive to their surroundings due to their developing Soul Perception, and it granted them swifter actions than what is normally possible in this entangling forest.

When they soon reached their hundredth meters' mark, instead of slowing down, they quickly dashed towards the opposing team. Avoiding every potential of clatter and clutter, they ran flowingly across the exposed roots on the forest ground with increased acceleration, and in almost complete silence. So swiftly that their sneak attack is executed like a full-speed charge.