Chapter 33: Luciette's raid

When Kairos scanned through the battlegrounds, he instantly noticed something was off.

"There are three missing persons?"

He did a mental calculation and immediately became wary that Luciette had far deeper plans. Of course, he would not know that two were killed because of Calculus, and only one still unaccounted for.

However, with the attacks coming, he did not have much time to think about this. They would have a hard time even with the scouts' initial estimation of fifty-five raiders, especially since they are still recovering from their wounds. Now that twenty-seven more enemies appeared, they are barely able to protect all three fronts.

By George's instructions, their initial arrangement had split his units into three groups. Each ready assist another side if needed.

However, they are now pinned down on the north wall by fifty-two enemies, with only thirteen defenders, including Long, John, Edward and Kairos.

The probing at their west walls had ensured their attention was focused elsewhere, allowing Luciette to bring her main unit dangerously close. And even now, Alan and nine defenders are occupied by the thirty blue team members still lingering near.

Their only hope of reinforcements is from the south. By Kairos' command, they raised several flags. When Silvers, Sasha or Tommy sees it, those at the south should arrive soon.

A loud horn blasted that overpowered every other noise, and the students from the blue team charged at the north ramparts on the signal. To cross the moat, they carried multiple tree trunks to use as floating platforms, and since they are martial practitioners, the weight did not slow them down by much.

With these practitioners' footwork, it will only take them mere seconds to jump across, unhindered even when the moat is filled with moving waters.

The defenders stared nervously, but at this moment, several volleys of arrows flew out from the edge of the forest towards the blue team.

"Reinforcements? A group of archers are flanking them. We're saved!" Edward said with open relief.

"It must be the commander! George had prepared another group to defend the camp. Haha, he did not even let us know."

"Of course! The White Snow clan are famous for intel gathering. It'd be terrible for us if Luciette found out early."

Everyone had thought that George might have overlooked the possibility that Luciette would attack with her full might, but he had reserved some troops in secret to reveal themselves when needed.

When Kairos calculated those taking part in this operation, forty people were missing from the list. He had long suspected they were given a separate mission.

"Perhaps, both commanders intended to make this their final battle."

The men had felt something akin to despair when they realised just how outnumbered and outmatched they are by Luciette, even with the Bagua formation and Kairos by their side. So when they saw friendly troops lying in wait to assist them, everyone found new hope.

The ambush worked with perfect timing. The arrows struck many of the blue team causing them to fall into the moat and be washed away by the river. Even though the gel-coated arrows cannot easily incapacitate anyone, it effectively scattered the blue team.

Among them, except for the first few that were caught unaware and lost consciousness, most had time to put up some form of defences quickly. They quickly recovered and tried getting out of the moat, but soon realised they are in range to be attacked by the defenders on top of the ramparts.