Chapter 105: Home (Part 1)

Kairos and his father Vouno sat down before a tiny wooden table with only an old candle for a pathetic amount of light.

The boy told him everything that had happened during the exam.

The Orc King's return, him becoming the commander of the red team, Calculus – heir of a high-ranking noble family – trying to assassinate him, and even the unbelievable appearance of the immortal Old Ye.

There was nothing that he left out.

Amongst the things that Vouno heard, it was what happened when Kairos decided to save Alucard's team that had haunted the boy to date. It was a difficult decision to make.

He risked his entire team just to rush to the aid of another, and though he saved five young nobles, he lost three of his own men; Sieg, Luk, and Xiu Xiu.

His father was not surprised by such a turn of event knowing the temperament of his boy. There was no way Kairos would've done nothing knowing that people's lives were on the line.

Not only him, but it was also the same for the others in his group. As commoners who lived in difficult conditions, which of them had not hoped for aid when danger approached?

The weak and the poor knows that sometimes only way they could survive was to rush to each other's aid at the swiftest speed. As such, they were all prepared for the worse when rushing the enemy, and Kairos knew that. But it still took Vouno a lot of effort to help him lessen the guilt he felt.

They were unlike those that would choose to use others as a distraction and run away themselves, like what Calculus did.

Nor did he did it to earn favour by helping the young nobles or even for self-gratification. Kairos realised that it was his Dao that led him down this path. It was a simple choice of doing the right thing. An action without any reasons other than it was correct.

Considering the risks they took, it was a great victory to preserve the lives of so many, and Vouno was immensely proud of him.

His father was not surprised by all by how things turned out. Instead, his surprise is by how his boy was capable enough to do this.

"You little rascal, were you hiding what you can do in the past? You were always standing behind your friends back in the past and running around with them. I'm your dad, and yet you've kept me in the dark all these while! HAHAHAHA"

A brilliant smile could be seen on Vouno's face as he smacked Kairos hard on his back. Anyone here at this moment would be able to see the raw joy he had.

.....

After the death of his wife, Kairos is the only one she had left behind for him.

It is a sudden illness that struck her and brought her away, and for a poor couple like them, they could not afford those fancy things called mementoes. In their house, there is not a single personal article to remember her with.

Even Saint Empire's culture to at least keep a drawn picture, the only portrait he had of her, had already been worn down by time and is no longer recognisable.

Of course, it is not often that the picture faded away so easily but only because the materials he could afford to draw the portrait is on a ridiculously cheap canvas with ink that he had mixed himself. It is quite impressive how poor they managed to become.

Their family actually had a small pig farm that was passed down from their grandparents, but this business had somehow failed in the end.

After his wife left, this boy has always been the pride of his life. His appearance and even his every action are so alike his late wife that they have become gentle reminders of the best years of his life.