B2, Chapter 26: Grey Wolves (Part 3)

The chain of events caused the boys to lose their chance to retreat, and now they found themselves surrounded by these vicious beasts. This new batch of canids instantly recognised them and immediately protected their alphas from Edward's arrows.

"Looks like we're in hot waters this time," Alan looked around and said. Most of them were observant enough to nod their heads in agreement, only Jim turned his head left and right asking, "What's happening? Somebody tell me please?"

"The crows attacking us wasn't random. Look at the dust we had scattered beforehand," Edward explained.

Jim took just one glance and his pupils instantly constricted. The weakening powder had all been dispersed; this level of combat tactic already come close to enlightenment. The beasts are becoming almost as cunning and sly as a human could.

Tommy then added, "That's not the last of our problems. There are more arriving while we are pinned down here, we will soon be overwhelmed."

The group immediately went into a defensive formation without a word.

Kairos whispered, "Our only chance is to kill their leaders to scatter the wolves. Unfortunately, they are too well protected in their tight little groups, and the alphas have learnt to stay apart."

After cutting off all possible exits, a chorus of howling ensued to summon more of their friends. The Black Winds are separated into different packs, and all are ruled under the wolf king. With a quick glance, there are four separate groups, and each alpha stood protected by two betas.

The appearance of a leader is vastly different from a regular Black Wind. They have larger maws and thickly muscled bodies. Unlike their greyish-black subordinates, their fur is dark like obsidian, and their yellowed eyes gleamed with bloodlust. Each stood proudly with a fierce dominative pressure, and they stared down the boys and the Grey Wolves like prey for the taking.

"They are still underestimating my arrows," Edward smiled confidently letting loose a powerful arrow enhanced with a shortened incantation right into the midst of a tightly packed wolf gang.

A series of dying yelps sounded as it flew, and then the arrow turned into a fiery explosion.

*Vvvvom*

The underside of the trees glowed brightly for a single moment, then a powerful gust of hot wind rolled the fallen leaves away. There was a brief moment of stunned silence, then the beasts whimpered fearfully. Edward's shot gone through every single wolf in its path and it struck his target directly on its head. But not even a single second later, another explosion happened on another side and rocked them all back.

Then a third, and a fourth.

In one breath, Edward actually sent out four such arrows.

Out of those four targets, the first two alphas were instantly killed, the third wounded by the explosion. And the last one, due to having more time, managed to dodge out of the way, unscathed.

"While they are confused... CHARGE!!" Alan yelled.

The two groups clashed with terrifying strength. The wolves fought with their lives on the line. It is obvious that while the Greys walked a path in harmony with nature, they are no less bloodthirsty than the Black Winds. In the end, they are still beasts that learnt that to survive the savage wilderness, they need to become even more savage than their environment.

As the boys fought, they are also experiencing what it means by only the strong survive and the weak die. Without them noticing, their methods slowly changed. Unconsciously, they have become deeply influenced by these beasts they are supposed to cull.