four || takes one to know one

Tuesday, September 8th- 4:37 p.m. | tryouts

"Okay, team," Coach announced from the goal. "This is a pretty simple drill."

We all stood around the goal, focusing on what Coach was explaining. Practice until now wasn't that bad. Every once in a while Ashton or Andrew would try to trip me or kick the ball away from me, anything to make me look like I didn't know how to play. Overall I ignored them pretty well, continuing to prove myself to Coach as much as I could.

Now that we were onto shooting drills, I knew I would be fine. The one thing I did most with Luke at home was shooting goals on him or vise versa.

But very conveniently, the goalie just happened to be number 6– Andrew Wallace.

We went in shifts up to the goal, and when my turn arrived, I refused to let him try to intimidate me. He can't control my life forever. I locked eyes with him, refusing to show any signs of weakness.

He was the kind of boy who found power in the weakness of those around him. He wanted everything he couldn't have, and made sure to treat the people around him accordingly. Being the guy who assaulted me, he tried so hard to hold his power over me, but I refused to give in to him.

I had studied his every move as the other members of the team shot on him. He favored his right side because that was where all the right-footed players put the ball, so it was simple-- put the ball on his left side and he won't see it coming.

I lined up my shot as if I was going to shoot at the same place the rest of the team had, watching as he favored over to that side, leaving his other open. I chipped the ball, sinking it in the top right corner of the net, watching as he missed it because he assumed I would shoot to the top left where the rest of the team had. No one else had got a ball past him yet. I stood back with a smirk as I watched him pick himself up and retrieve the ball. I could hear Calum laughing beside me, knowing I had more to me than the team had originally assumed.

"What the hell, Wallace?" Ashton yelled from the sideline, walking in towards the goal and me. "She's not that good. You're being stupid!"

"I tried to block it!" Andrew defended from the goal, kicking the ball back to me. "She's gotta be a fucking leftie or something."

"I'm more than just a pretty body, Andrew," I interrupted them as I took my ball and walked over towards Calum. "But you wouldn't know that, would you?"

My glance broke away from him as I turned to Calum. A smirk covered my face, Calum trying to stop one from lighting up his face too. He was the only person aside from Andrew that knew what I was hinting at, and he was getting quite a laugh from it.

"Okay, you know what, you whore!" I heard Andrew call from behind me as he started moving towards me. Calum quickly stepped in front of me, blocking Andrew as he got closer to me. He held him back as I turned back to look at him.

"Takes one to know one," I snapped back, watching as he pushed against Calum.

Cal just held him still. "What the hell are you gonna do to her? Don't you think you've done enough?" Calum finally spoke to him, looking him dead in the eyes as he did. All three of us knew this was more than just him failing to block my shot, but the rest of the team didn't, and that's what kept it interesting.

"Okay, break it up boys," Coach finally intercepted.

Calum threw Wallace back into Ashton's grip, who immediately pushed him off of himself. "Get your shit together," I heard Ashton's voice from behind me.

"Okay, all the new members have pretty well proved themselves. I think it's time to call it quits," Coach spoke. "You guys are free to go."

Most of the team headed toward the sidelines, but I stayed facing Andrew and Ashton. As much as I hated them both for what they've done to me, showing any form of weakness to them would be the worst possible thing I could do.