eighty || skewer

Friday, November 13th- 8:16 p.m. 

| Skewer |
a sort of inside-out pin, a move that attacks a piece of value, but there is a piece behind it of equal or lesser value that will be captured anyway if the attacked piece moves.

× × ×

"She told me she was with you."

I tried to avoid growing frantic for the sake of us both, trying to formulate an excuse as to why I would be with her but not know where she is.

"Yeah," I laughed back, trying to make it seem like I wasn't lying right through my teeth. In the long run, it was better for us both. Only I needed to be stressed out about her if I kept her mom in the dark. "She sent me in here after a sweatshirt of hers and bet me 10 bucks I wouldn't ask you that."

Her mom shook her head, laughing lightly. She bought it. "Well, if she asks, I'll tell her you did it."

"Yeah, I don't think I'm getting my $10 now that I told you about it," I laughed again, trying to humor her. I started up the steps for the 'sweatshirt' I was in search of, listening as her mom responded from downstairs.

"I won't tell her that either," she called back as I disappeared up the steps.

I moved quickly to her room, now frantic as to where she actually was. We were barely on normal speaking terms right now. Why would she tell her mom we were together?

I entered her room fast, grabbing the first sweatshirt I saw and turning back for the steps. I ran back down them, on a mission now to find her.

My mind was getting the worst of me... But the last time it did, it was right.

Her mom looked over as I ran past her, so I gave her a quick "got it" as I held out the clothing. She smiled at me, quickly calling back, "You two be careful now. Don't do anything I wouldn't."

I nodded back to her as I reached the door, calling "of course. Have a good night, Ms. Hemmings."

I walked out as she responded, needing to move fast now that Auni's safety was possibly on the line. She'd been crying when she left but I thought they were happy tears. I thought she was okay.

I pulled out my phone as I ran towards my car, quickly calling her as I got in. I had a guess of where she was, but I also had a fear of not finding her.

I threw the car into drive and peeled out of her neighborhood as the phone continued to ring out in my ear, eventually dropping to her voice mailbox.

I hung up on my end, dropping my phone to my lap as I sped my way through the route I'd taken so many times, whispering "please just be safe" under my breath.

The longer I drove, the closer I rose to a panic. I kept thinking, what if she's not there? Where would she be? I had to just keep driving, silently praying to myself she'd be at the endpoint.

It felt like every muscle in my body was tight with fear as I pulled onto the stone road. It was moments like this that made me realize just how much she meant to me. I was so afraid for her safety that I was practically sacrificing my own with the way I was driving.

When I swung around the turn and my headlights reflected off the back of her car, I felt that same relief flood over me again. It didn't completely diminish my fear, but it was enough to keep me sane till I could hold her again to know she was safe.

I parked my car quickly, grabbing my bag and her sweatshirt out of the passenger seat and climbing out. I walked through the front door, not being surprised when it was unlocked. I really needed to start reminding her about that.