forty nine || stalemate

Saturday, October 31st- 9:47 p.m.

| Stalemate |
When the player to move isn't in check, but none of his pieces can move; a form of a draw

—-

My hands fell from my hair to my mouth back to my sides in one fast moment of disbelief. I slowly stepped back, preparing to book it for the stairs.

Ashton quickly started towards me, words falling from his mouth but I could only hear the loud ringing in my ears. My whole world moved in slow motion, my heart beating rapidly in my chest being the only thing tying me to reality.

I watched as he turned to yell something back at the girl who had kissed him, her lips pulling into a devilish smirk as I stepped farther back again.

I turned for the stairs, wanted away from this situation as fast as I could. I slowly fell back to reality as my shoes clicking against the wood stairs filled my ears. I could never go downstairs in any sort of heel, but in this moment, I couldn't slow down.

"Auni, please, just listen to me," I heard him plead as he followed me down the stairs behind me. "I need you to listen to me."

The sound of his voice and the lie that had just fallen from his lips turned my blood hot. The wave of sadness disappeared as my body rushed with anger. I continued my quick pace, feeling the tears that were previously in my eyes disappear and the tightness in my chest grow with my frustration. I stopped briefly at the bottom of the steps, trying to decide the fastest route away from him.

I had no plan, I simply wanted away from him.

I turned the way with the least amount of people, knowing it all wrapped back around at some point. I went as fast as my legs would let me, no end destination in sight.

I pushed past the bodies surrounding me. Ashton's voice fell silent to my ears as he continued to plea, but I heard none of it.

I knew I should have never trusted him- he'd just proved that. He'd just ruined us.

With anger flooding my veins and subconscious mind, I fell to revenge. I plowed through the kitchen with no plan as to how to get it- until my eyes fell to Mikey. The world fell back in place around me as sounds began to register in my mind again, including Ashton's voice.

I knew he was close behind, and I was about to use it to my advantage.

With nothing but the picture of his lips on another girl's in my head, I pushed through the throng of people. "Mikey," I called as Ashton trailed close behind.

He slowly spun around to face me, his glance immediately recognizing the anger in my body language. He didn't get time to question my actions before my hand reached for his cheek and I pushed to my toes, matching my lips to his like Ashton had to that girl just minutes earlier.

Mikey didn't react, but kissed me back as if I was any other girl. I pushed deeper, knowing Ashton was watching from just a few feet away.

My anger didn't fade. In fact, it only continued to grow as I realized that this kiss was doing nothing to me. I knew Mikey meant nothing to me when I'd called to him from across the room, but it was driving me mad that I couldn't get Ashton out of my head.

All I could think of was how much I wish Mikey was Ashton, and how much I wished he could feel the same pain I do right now.

I pulled back after I knew I'd proved my point to Ashton, opening my eyes again to the silent room around me. Mikey stood in complete shock, holding his hands up in surrender as if he'd seen Ashton behind me before I'd kissed him. His shock quickly wore off as he laughed to himself, smirking lightly at what he'd just received.