five || warning lights & red flags

Tuesday, September 8th- 5:05 p.m. | Tryouts

Calum and I parted ways when we got to the parking lot. I headed over towards Luke's car and waved goodbye to him as I went. He proceeded to flip me off in usual Calum fashion.

I laughed at his action as I walked farther towards the grey Jeep. I pulled out my phone, checking notifications from while I was at practice, barely paying attention to where I was going. I walked up to the passenger door, pulling the handle to get in, but the door didn't budge. I looked up expecting Luke to be sitting in the front seat, fiddling with the buttons to find the unlock, but the car was empty.

I hummed to myself as I looked around in annoyance. The parking lot was mostly empty, except for a few select cars left over. Where did he go?

I walked back out behind the car, looking around to see no person in sight. I caught view of a door open into the school, making me think maybe he was with part of the team in the locker room. I looked down at my watch for the time. Practice had ended almost 40 minutes ago. No way he was still in the locker room, right? I opened my phone and went to his contact.

lukey

where are you?

I was hoping for an immediate read receipt, but rather I watched the clock tick away five more minutes of it still reading delivered. I huffed to myself. I thought about staying put, that he would probably be out soon, but if he has been in there for 45 minutes already, what says he would even come out anytime soon?

I weighed my options- stand here until he comes out or go looking for him. Of course my Hemming's instincts, and a little bit of inpatiance, kicked in, and off I went in search for him. I walked myself to the open door entering the school, walking down the hallways of the high school I had become oh so fond of. The hallway led straight past the boy's locker room, and the athletic department office. That's why when I heard Coach speaking, I wasn't surprised.

Until I heard who was responding to him.

"I can't deny her! She's a good player. She knows the game better than half the team. I have no reason I even could!" Coach defended, the she in this sentence obviously being me.

"We've never once had a girl on the team!"

Ashton.

"We can't just start now!" he continued to complain, audibly upset.

I stopped myself before I would reach the windows of the office, sliding down the wall and sitting on the cold floor as I listened to words be thrown around about me.

"Irwin, I know you're Captain and this team is as much yours as it is mine, but I can't deny her," Coach laid it out for him. "This team is technically co-ed, even if no girls have tried out in years. I have no reason I can turn her down."

"So if you won't turn her down, I just have to make her not want to stay," Ashton thought out loud, practically informing Coach of his plan.

"Ashton Irwin, you are not allowed to try to scare her off," Coach reprimanded almost immediately.

"How else am I supposed to get her to leave if you can't deny her?" Ashton asked. "If enough of us make her want to leave, then she will."

I heard as his shoes squeaked against the concrete, making it sound as if he had turned around. "Right, Luke? You'll help?"

Well, now I know where Luke is.

I heard a mumble, not catching what he said, but based on the fact Ashton didn't get more upset over it, I'm guessing it was the answer he wanted to hear. The answer the Luke I knew wouldn't ever give.