sixty || endgame

Saturday, November 7th- 12:34 a.m.

| Endgame | the final phase of chess

× Ashton ×

She sat pressed up against the footboard of her bed, her eyes closed, her head falling to one side like it was too heavy to hold up. Her skin was pale like the life had been stolen out of her.

My eyes fell to her hands. One rested around the neck of the tequila bottle, barely gripping it. In the other held the empty prescription bottle, the cap on the floor beside her, no pills in sight.

I felt myself hit rock bottom just at the sight of her.

I'd done this to her.

I'd killed my angel.

I ran to her with whatever hope I still had left. I fell to my knees in front of her, immediately picking up her head to press two fingers to the curve of her neck.

"Angel, please," I begged as I tried to find a pulse. I couldn't focus long enough to truly search but I couldn't find anything either, and the last piece of me was shattering. "Don't do this to me."

Oh, Baby, I'm bleeding, bleeding, ey...
Can't you give me what I'm needing, needing?

I continued to move my finger against her neck, refusing to accept that she was gone. "Angel," I whispered again.

I had tears staining my cheeks as I slowly realized I'd lost her, knowing I'd caused it.

"God, please. I can't live without you," I continued to plead, not even with her anymore. I was begging whatever higher power could hear me. They couldn't do this to me after everything else.

I was already at rock bottom, I can't lose her too.

"Come on, Angel. Come back to me, please."

Every heartbreak makes it hard to keep the faith
But, Baby, I just need one good one
good one, good one, good one, good one, good one

"I can't lose you. Please, Angel."

I leaned into her in a lack of judgment, matching my lips to hers. I knew it wouldn't bring her back, but in case it was the last time I ever got to touch her, I needed to taste her one last time.

I pulled back, my forehead leaning pushed against hers as I felt the tears swell in my eyes. I continued begging, not being able to accept the idea of losing her yet.

"Please, Angel. I love you. I know I'm the danger but I can't be the thing that kills you too."

When I'd finally accepted she wasn't going to return to my begging, I kissed her one last time before I turned to grab my phone to dial 911. I could barely see through the tears as I tried to unlock my phone, typing in my code- 10.16.20... the day we kissed.

It made me want to cry even harder, but I tried to hold it back, knowing she was physically on the line now.

In the corner of my eye, I watched her face scrunch lightly, like she always did when she didn't like something. I stopped at the small movement within her expression and my eyes shot back up to her as a tiny mumble fell from her lips.

"Angel?"

Maybe I'd imagined it, but I swear to God she'd just mumbled out our nickname back to me.

"Auni," I called back, dropping my phone as my hand fell back to holding her head up.