seventy eight || i told you we'd be alright

Friday, November 13th- 5:32 p.m.

Being on that field when the final buzzer rang had to have been one of the highlights of my life. If I could have taken a mental video and committed it to memory to always return to, I would have.

The game ended 5-2, our team finishing our local season undefeated and moving on to districts as the top team in our area.

That moment when the buzzer rang and the idea of that being true hit our team, everything and everyone erupted in screams and cheers. Our whole team ran towards the middle with excitement flooding our veins.

We became the same circle we always did, each of our happiness contagious to the next. It was moments like this that made me want to live, made me grateful that I'd survived just a week earlier.

Coach quickly joined us in our celebration, calming us after giving us a second to live in the moment. We were all smiles as he spoke.

"I told you guys you could do it," he laughed to us, smiling just as wide as we were. We all let out cheers of agreement, this whole team was still so beyond proud of what we'd just done.

"And now you're moving on, undefeated, to districts," Coach continued, earning the same response from us again.

"I don't even know what else to say to you guys," Coach stopped himself, shaking his head as he looked to his feet. It was like he needed a second to form his words and to keep himself from breaking down. "I'm so proud of each and every one of you," he finally choked out, making us all react as he slowly grew sappy.

Some of the guys started laughing, not knowing how to react but I walked closer to Coach. "Aww, don't cry," I told him, holding out my arms to hug him.

He laughed at himself, wiping his eyes before accepting my hug. "You're gonna make me cry," I laughed as he gave me a side hug.

All the other guys slowly started picking up on Coach's emotion, some stepping in to join in our hug. Soon enough the whole team had joined out hug in the center of the field, making me subconsciously smile.

I remembered back to the first game, and how the memories from that were the reasons I didn't want to be numb anymore. These memories, in this moment, were the reason I didn't want to be dead.

These moments made me want to live.

"Okay, okay," Coach called us all off. "You guys have to let me go before I really start crying."

We all laughed as we slowly let go, stepping back to give him space. "Woah," he shook his head. "I can't even imagine how bad I'm gonna be at our last game."

I smiled at his comment, looking around to all the guys around me smiling too. "Okay, Irwin, count them down," Coach told Ashton, holding his hand out for us to add ours too.

I turned to find him, not having realized where he was. I looked over one shoulder to no luck, slowly putting my hand into the circle as I spun to look over the other.

As soon as I turned, I spotted him. It was practically impossible to not recognize him when my eyes fell to his jawline, his hand right over mine in the circle. He looked over to me, a small smile tracing his lips as he leaned over my shoulder.

I turned back towards the circle, watching as everyone else filed in around us. I found feel him hovering behind me, his breath hot near my ear as he leaned down closer. I tried to stay focused on our task at hand until I heard him whisper, "I told you we'd be alright."

I shook my head at his words, not even getting a chance to react before he counted us off.

"Who are we?!" he yelled from behind me, pulling away from my ear so he didn't hurt me.