forty three || track six to ten

Friday, October 30th- 9:41 p.m.

"And track 6," he started, leaning over to turn it up.

I listened closely to the guitar chords as they filled the car, my face lighting up.

"Would you look at that, Anastasia Hemmings does know some classics!" Ashton laughed from beside me.

Track Six Iris
The Goo Goo Dolls

"And would you look at that, Ashton Irwin has a bruise on his arm," I laughed back.

"What? No, I-"

I reached across the console, punching his bicep as he pulled away. It was pay back for his insult to my music knowledge.

"Ouch!" he whined, rubbing his arm.

"Don't insult my music anymore," I replied, feeling no remorse for my action.

And I'd give up forever to touch you
'Cause I know that you feel me somehow
You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be
And I don't want to go home right now

I looked back to the road in front of us, feeling as he started slowing down. He pushed the car into park, turning to look at me again.

"Oh, you know classics now?" he asked, turning in his seat to face me. "What year was this wrote?"

I was looking out the windshield, trying to figure out where we were. The vast area in front of us was covered in wildflowers, the ones closest to us pink from the headlights illuminating them.

And all I can taste is this moment
And all I can breathe is your life
And sooner or later, it's over
I just don't wanna miss you tonight

I turned to open my door, wanting to see what was on the other side of the flowers. "98, asshole," I said back, flipping him off as I slipped out the door.

I slowly wandered in front of the car, my shadow visible against the flowers from the headlights behind me.

And I don't want the world to see me
'Cause I don't think that they'd understand
When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am

I leaned down to pick one, it being about as tall as a rose. I heard the music grow louder from the car behind me, a shadow slowly appearing beside mine against the flowers as he paced up to reach me.

I turned, the flower in hand, as I stood back up to meet him.

When everything feels like the movies

"Yeah, you bleed just to know, you're alive," I sang, breaking the stem off a bit so I could hold it closer.

I looked up to Ashton as he stood in front of me, leaning back against the front of his Jeep. The headlights blinded me enough that I couldn't see much, but the contrast between the authentic green in his eyes and the bright white in his smile, I could see him perfectly.

I looked down to his hand, seeing a blanket folded up and held against his hip.

And I don't want the world to see me
'Cause I don't think that they'd understand

I paced slowly towards him, spinning the flower between my fingers. "When everything's made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am," I sang quietly, watching my every step.

When I reached his side, I lightly placed the flower down on the hood, looking over my shoulder to see him. I felt myself smile as he pushed off the car, holding his hand out to pull me along on whatever adventure he was taking me on. I took it gracefully, ready for just about anything he could come up with. He led me carefully through the flowers, finding an opening just yards forward from where the car was.