V.2 CH.8: Dance Dance Infiltration

Oobleck is listening intently as Port laughs over some unheard anecdote. Ozpin is standing off to the side with Glynda until Ironwood offers his hand for her to dance with him. Jaune approaches Ruby, who is standing pensively near the refreshments tables.

Jaune: "I see you're hiding at the punch bowl too."

Ruby: "Yep."

Jaune: "To the socially awkward."

Ruby giggles and they clink glasses.

Ruby: "Guess Weiss rejected you to go to the dance?"

Jaune: "Meh, it's fine. Though I wonder how Neptune managed to take Weiss from F/n?"

Ruby: "What do you mean?"

Jaune: "Well, you know, Weiss asked Neptune to the dance instead of F/n." He begins to drink his punch.

Ruby: "No, Weiss came to the dance alone. Actually, Weiss never even liked Neptune."

Jaune chokes in surprise.

Jaune: "Uh, what?"

Weiss is currently sitting down on a table, glaring at Blake, who was happily dancing with F/n.

Ruby: "Yeah, I'm pretty sure F/n said something to her that made her upset, so she tried to make him jealous by asking someone else."

Laughter draws Jaunes' attention to F/n and Blake who were laughing at Yang, who was making silly faces. He becomes visibly perturbed.

Jaune: "Hold my punch." He says in a low growl

Jaune hands Ruby his glass and no sooner than he vanishes from sight does she choose to drink from his cup. As Jaune makes his way across the room, shoving other students aside (some of which were not even in his path), he stops short and watches as Pyrrha passes by. He watches her walk glumly up the stairs and seems to have a change of heart.

~~~

Pyrrha is on the balcony as Jaune approaches behind her.

Jaune: "Hey, Pyrrha."

Pyrrha turns around to face him.

Pyrrha: "Hello, Jaune."

Jaune: "You okay? I haven't seen you tonight."

Pyrrha: "Arrived late, I'm afraid."

Jaune: "Well, you look really nice."

Pyrrha: "Thank you."

Jaune: "Your, uh, date isn't going to beat me up for saying that, is he?"

Pyrrha: "I think you're safe for tonight."

Jaune: "So, where is the guy?"

Pyrrha turns back toward Jaune.

Pyrrha: "There is no guy."

Jaune: "What?"

Pyrrha: "Nobody asked me."

Jaune: "But that's... You're Pyrrha Nikos! H-How could nobody ask you?"