22

Eden skipped down the stairs excited for todays events.

"Aww look at you, will you stop growing up" mama teased as she kissed Edens forehead and gently bopped her nose in a telling of way.
"Could you bring that to the garden please" mama instructed pointing to a plate filled with rolls, Eden happily follwed her mama into the garden where the sun was blaring on a lovely summers day in New York. The sun always made the shepahrd garden its staring character, the grass looked green the flowers standing tall and proud, the bunting that has been wrapped around the tree in the far corner of the garden that has been there for as long as Eden could remember.

Today there wasnt just bunting in the tree there was fairy lights on the fence behind the big 10 person table and then smaller table which was always for Nancy, Liz and Kathleen's children to sit at. The garden had always been Eden's favourite place at the shephards as a child she spent her time out her running around playing ganes with Amelia who was 10 years older than her but always happy to play fairies or princess with the young girl, she would sit in the garden watching mark and Derek practice baseball. When she got older she would come over and sit in the garden for a catch up session over cake and coffee with mama sometimes being joined by one the shephard sisters and their children.

"So mama who is actually coming to this BBQ?" Eden asked interested
"Well all of my children plus your dad" Mama replied
"Im assuming you include Mark in all of your children" Eden asked mama always called Eden and Mark her children.
Mama walked away she didnt reply, Eden could tell something was wrong something they werent telling her.

"Mama what about Mark?" Eden asked, before mama could tell her the door burst open.

"Eden" Derek called as he pulled the young girl into a hug she looked behind him hoping to see Mark pulling Derek of his sister for his own hug but standing there in his place was meredith, Eden didnt know Meredith was invited she didnt even know about this BBQ till this morning.

"Hey Derek, Meredith?" Eden questioned as the hug was broken.
"Derek told me about today and we have missed you" Meredith explained as she took a step back and in came Cristina and Alex two people she never really thought would come to this.
"Hey" they both smiled, Eden noted that there was two people missing.

"Wheres izzie and George?" Eden asked growing concerned
"Izzie left" Alex said deadpan, Eden knew how much Izzie meant to Alex he wasnt the most romantic guy or share your emotions type person but she could tell how much Alex cared for her.
"Im so sorry Alex'
"Its fine"

"What about George?" Eden asked noticing that they hadnt given her a reason to George's absence.

All three interns and Derek looked at each other hoping someone will give her the answer not wanting her to know the truth just yet not wanting to ruin the afternoon for her or even her progress.

Meredith piped up with a reason to Georges absence "hes really sorry but one of us had to work this weekend we couldn't all come but he wanted me to tell you he misses you. You know the house isnt the same without you, no one bakes us cakes now".

"Well why dont I show you around the house, come on Meredith?" Mama smiled as Meredith followed with Cristina and Alex behind her but Eden knew her plan so she mouthed "baby photos" to Derek.

"Already hidden them all" Derek smirked whispering as they heard a shout from mama "where's the baby photos from the box. DEREK" Dereks smirk grew in satisfacrion.

"Derek wheres Mark?" Eden asked expecting him to run in picking her up but none of that had happened yet.

"Uhh well about that" Derek started to stumble on his words and shifting on his feet Eden knew something was going on.
"Derek?" Eden firmly questioned
"There was a traumor this morning they needed a burns expert he was so cross that he was the one called in he is really sorry and cant wait to see you monday" Derek apologised on behalf of Mark.