Gone -Postlude- Alternate Ending

Jennie's POV

"I guess it's time for me to get rid of this." I whisper, throwing away that Tiffany&Co. box I've had with me since the day Rosie graduated from law school.

As I stared at the light blue box, memories of the past came rushing back...from when Rosie and I had our first non-date watching Wreck-it Ralph, when she asked me to be her girlfriend, our first Christmas, our uni days, Rosie's law school days, literally all our memories...everything accumulated and is symbolized by that ring inside the box that's now sitting in my rubbish bin.

Is this what it feels like? To be heartbroken...to not know what you've got until it's gone? Cause shit regret really is at the end.... and fuck it sucks.

"Jen." Jisoo pulls me out of my thoughts, "Why are you staring at your rubbish..." She trails off, after seeing the box.

"Is this what I think it is?" She pulls the box out. I didn't stop her, because I wanted to pull it out as well.

"You can open it if you want." I answer in a small voice.

"Jennie...it's..it's beautiful." Jisoo eyes the ring.

"Yeah it is..it would have been perfect." I turn away from Jisoo, sitting on my bed. Wanting to wallow in my own mistakes...my own regrets.

"How long have you had this?" Jisoo asks, closing the box and handing it back to me.

"Since Rosie graduated from law school...I used to always carry it around with me, waiting for that perfect moment when I could ask her, but it never came...."

"Wait that's like 2..no 3 years Jen..." Jisoo looks at me with wide eyes.

"Yeah..."

"What about, you know, that thing with Lisa..did you have it then?" Jisoo asks.

"No.."

"But you still didn't want to get rid of it until now?"

I nod my head, "I've been holding onto it for so long...that I forgot about it's meaning. That I didn't realize until Rosie and I had our talk today just how much I've lost sight of what was in front of me all along."

"This ring...it symbolizes everything I've ever gone through with Rosie...and now that it's over..now that we're finally over..I wonder why it's so hard for me to throw it away. I have to move on right? She always loved me more right?"

"You really think she loved you more when you were the one that carried this ring around with you for 3 years without anyone knowing?" Jisoo asks, sitting on the bed with me.

I stay quiet...I want to say yes, but I don't feel like I deserve to.

"That ring...it carries the 8 years of your story with her, of course it won't be easy to let go." Jisoo speaks up.

"Are you saying I should keep it?" I ask, tightening my grip around the box.

"I'm saying to let it go when you're actually ready."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Rosie's POV

"Okay what's going on in that head of yours?"

"How'd you know I was here?" I ask, as Lisa takes a seat on the rooftop with me.

"I texted Aly..she said you've been staying here for a few days."

"Ah...I see." I keep my gaze up at the stars. The words Jennie said to me that day replaying over and over

"You gave me so much that I didn't know if what I had to offer was enough. My hands were burned by our rope just as much as yours, because you never even gave me the chance to show you how much I love you too."