First Place (9)

Rosie's a bit tanner now, her blonde hair seems brighter, and the air around her is lighter. The Rosie that's in front of me right now is different, but a good different. Is this the real Rosie..the Rosie that didn't have to always keep an eye out for others? The Rosie that lives just for herself?

"So are you guys here on vacation? You should have told me, I could have gotten you from the airport." Rosie begins the conversation after we agreed to join them for lunch.

"It was supposed to be a surprise Roseanne." Lisa deadpans.

"Well, you didn't do a very good job then. Irene said you've been here a day, you could have gone to see me yesterday or something." Rosie pouts.

"Okay stop acting cute, it's cringe." Jisoo makes a face and everyone laughs.

"So you two." Irene mentions to Rosie and the brunette sitting by her side, "how long?"

"It's been 3 months." Rosie smiles at her.

"Yeah, but we've been friends since Rosie moved here."

"Mhm, we met at one of our cafes and then found out we're neighbors. Jiyeon's been here a year longer than me. She moved from Seoul."

"Isn't that just lucky for you Rosie. You guys look cute together." I force a smile.

"Thanks Jen..." Rosie blushes, and I see her grab Jiyeon's hand.

"Do you want to go?" Irene whispers in my ear, but before I can give an answer our meal arrives.

"Let's eat." I smile, giving Irene my answer.

I need to get used to this.

~ ~

"We don't like her. We don't." Lisa says while we made our way to some excursion she planned.

"I like her." I say.

"WHAT?" The three look at me like I grew a second head.

"Jiyeon..I like her."

"But Jen, she and Rosie.."

"She makes Rosie happy." I interrupt Jisoo, "That's all that I want." I look at all of them with a huge smile, "So let's just enjoy our time here and then go home."

My Rosie...did you also feel like your heart was being torn into a million pieces everytime I looked at her? Everytime I smiled at her? Everytime I looked at her and not you?

Did you feel both broken and happy? Broken because it wasn't you, but happy because I was happy?

Like you did for me Rosie..all I want is for you to be happy too. And as much as I want that person to be me...I'll respect your decision.

"Jennie, hey." Irene nudges me slightly, "You were gone for a bit there. Are you sure you're okay?" She looks at me worriedly.

"Mhm I'm fine. C'mon those two are going to leave us behind."

~ ~ ~

"We should stop meeting like this," I hear a chuckle next to me.

"Talia, hello." I smile at the girl, and she just frowns in return.

"You have that look again." She shakes her head, sitting next to me on the beach.

"What look?"

"It's the look you've had on your face since we met." Talia stares at me, "It's funny..it's the same look my friend had when she first came to Santorini." Talia chuckles.

"And what kind of look is that?"

"Hmm like...uh..in Greek we say χαρμολύπη."

"Charmolypi?" I tried to mimic her, but probably butchered the word, seeing how she chuckled a bit.