First Place (2)

"Rosie! There you are." Jennie clings onto me as soon as she sees me on campus.

"Hi."

"I have to tell you something." Jennie says excitedly, dragging me to some random cafe near campus.

"Okay what'd you want to tell me?" I ask after grabbing our drinks from the counter.

"I saw her again and we have class together." Jennie squeals and I stop myself from rolling my eyes.

"Ooh someone saw their crush." I tease her.

"I did." She admits.

Seeing her made you that happy huh.

"Well did you talk to her this time?"

"No..." Jennie pouts.

"Why not? I thought you guys got close after hanging out at that dinner with your families."

"I guess I just don't know what to say...or more like I'm scared that I'll say something stupid."

"Do you want me to talk to her with you if we see her together?" I offer like an idiot.

"Will you??" Jennie looked at me with hopeful eyes.

"Anything for you." I reply.

Yeah..anything for you Jen, as long as it's you. It;ll always be more of you and less of me.

"Rosie...Rosie..Roseanne...Park Chaeyoung!" I'm pulled out of my thoughts to Jennie's bright eyes looking at me with worry, "Are you okay? You zoned out on me just now."

"I'm fine." I smile, my eyes glancing at her ring that I didn't put there, "What were you saying?"

"It's nothing important. What were you thinking of so deeply that you weren't listening to me?" Jennie asks, with a small frown, dipping a fry in my milkshake.

"Remember in high school...I asked you to play a game with me." I ignore her question, pushing the milkshake closer to her.

"Yeah, you said we were supposed to realize something about each other." She nods, still dipping her fries in my shake.

"Yeah that's right. It's been a long time since then, but you know that I lost." I chuckle, hoping it didn't sound broken.

"What? I actually won?" Jennie looked so excited even though I felt so defeated.

"Yes..you did. What do you want as your prize?" I ask, glad she didn't ask what I realized about her.

"Hmmm...can I think about it first?" She asks cutely.

"Okay..take all the time you need." I pull my milkshake back, causing her to whine so I push it forward again.

"You're such a kid." I shake my head, watching as Jennie happily eats her fries.

After a few moments of silence Jennie suddenly calls me "Rosie." She says softly twiddling with the ring on her finger, her eyebrows creased just a tad.

"Yes?" I look at her and again I hear the constant voice in my head that scolds me for missing every opportunity with her. And I hate the feeling of missing an opportunity to get what I want. I hate being second place. But I know that I'll never become her number one. So I guess, just for her...I won't mind being second.

"You think she'll learn to love me like I love her?" Jennie asks, her voice steady, but I know a broken smile when I see one.

"Jennie..."