Till I Found You

I would never fall in love again until I found her

I said, "I would never fall unless it's you I fall into"

I was lost within the darkness, but then I found her

I found you

"I won't ask you to wait for me nor will I promise that I'll find my way back to you."

"Jennie..."

"It wouldn't be fair Rosie...What if you end up finding someone who can stay...."

"I won't. I won't ever fall in love again unless it's you." Rosie replies, eyes determined.

"Don't make promises you can't keep" I shake my head, "I'm not breaking up with you because I don't think we'll make it..."

"Then don't."

"I can't do that Rosie...I can't hurt you anymore than I already have."

"Jennie..that's not true..we can make it Jen, you just have to trust me..to trust us." Rosie holds my hands and I couldn't help but think that this might be the last time I'll ever be able to hold her hands like this.

"Aren't you tired Love?" I cup her face in my hands, "Fighting this losing battle..." I lean our foreheads together, closing my eyes and savouring our last moments together.

"I love you." Rosie whispers, her breath hitting my lips and the urge to close the gap between our lips strong, but my resolve was stronger.

"I know.." I refuse to say it back, "That's why it had to be me..." I pulled away, feeling my resolve starting to crumble the longer I'm with her.

"If things were different..I think we would have had a happier ending." Rosie forces a smile among the sea of tears, "We gave it our all...but maybe love isn't enough right?"

"I don't want you to wake up one day and regret all of this." I try to keep my eyes on hers, but the way her eyes show how much this is breaking her is making it hard for me to keep watching, "I'd rather live the rest of my life with our memories than one day waking up to you hating me..resenting me...regretting the love you have for me. I just want to remember you as my Rosie who loves me and I want you to remember me as the Jennie who loves you." I force myself to give Rosie her favourite smile of mine, "Promise?" I smile with my gums showing and Rosie bites her lower lip while nodding, "Pro..promise." She says in a soft whisper and I nod, "I should go then." I make my way to the door. But Rosie stops me, "Jen." She held my hand, but I couldn't turn around..I can't leave her twice and Rosie knows that so we stay standing like this her hand holding mine while my free hand was on the doorknob, gripping it with all the strength I have so that I don't fall back into her arms.

"We're soulmates Jen and maybe our story here may have ended but I know that somewhere out there, be it in another life or another universe..that we'd find each other. That we'd love each other with all the love we couldn't give to each other in this life."

_

"We smile at each other in understanding. It's not a goodbye, not really..it's a see you later. A see you later that holds no promises, no expectations. I admit, I am scared to take this next step, but it's something I need to do for myself. I love her and she loved me. Now, I need to learn how to love me and to have loved her." Jennie reads the paragraph from the short story she's reading with a soft sigh while Lisa, her best friend, rolls her eyes.

"You need to stop obsessing over those Nini, I know you stayed up late reading again." Lisa shakes her head, grabbing her smock from her locker, while Jennie leans on one of the lockers in the hallway of the fine arts building.