First Place (5)

"So why'd you call me out." Irene asks, taking a sip of her latte.

"I told you at the wedding, didn't I?" Roseanne was straight to the point, never one to beat around the bush.

"And I am trying Chaeyoung." Irene replies.

"Are you really?" The blonde leans forward slightly, "Because we both know that's not true."

"You don't know anything."

"Are you sure about that? You know Jen tells me everything."

"Yeah I bet." Irene's tone was mocking, "Maybe if you stopped looking at my wife like she's the love of your life then maybe she'll pay a bit more attention to my efforts."

"I know my place."

"Do you?"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means that with one little thing you come running to her."

"She's my best friend and her wife doesn't treat her like a wife, what do you expect from me?"

"I expect you to back off. If we're having problems, she should come to me about it and not you. I'm her wife."

"Her wife on paper."

"But we both know she has feelings for me."

"Yes, and we both know you don't."

"What if I do?" Irene asks.

"If you did, then she wouldn't be calling me so often crying."

"Crying?"

"God Irene you don't even know how much you're hurting her and yet you have the guts to tell me you might have feelings for her? You've hurt her so many times, but she always chooses you. I'm her best friend and you're my friend. And yeah it sucks because the girl I'm in love with loves someone else but what can I do? You don't think I'm trying to move on? You don't think it doesn't hurt me everytime she cries because of you? You don't think it kills me when she's so happy because of the little things you do? God you're so fucking lucky but you're too damn blind to see it." Roseanne gets up, leaving before Irene could get another word out.

~ ~ ~

-Rosie's POV-

I left the cafe feeling frustrated at both Irene and myself, but mostly at myself. I keep telling Jennie to be patient that Irene will come around, when in fact I'm kinda happy that she isn't. I'm happy that Irene is cold towards Jennie, I'm happy that she's pushing her away. God I'm a horrible person, for wishing that Irene would push Jennie away enough for her to want to leave.

"Just what kind of a best friend am I?" I sigh.

"A good one."

"Lisa? What are you doing here?" I was surprised to see her popping out of nowhere.

"I met up with a client. I saw you walking by and called you a few times, but you were in your own world, so I decided to catch up to you."

"Oh..sorry."

"Don't be, but you wanna tell me what's on your mind? It's about Jen right?" Lisa looks at me like she can see all my troubles, "C'mon let's talk at home. I'm parked nearby."

"Sure."

~ ~

"So, what's on your mind?" Lisa asks again and I tell her about Jennie knowing, about my wanting Irene pushing her away, I tell her everything.

"Well that's..expected." Lisa nods.

"Expected?"

"I mean you don't really act platonic towards her and frankly, neither does she towards you."