The One That Got Away

"Nini? Nini? Jen? Jen? Jennie? Hey?" Lisa nudges me, pulling my gaze away from the blonde on the other side of this cafe.

"Hmm? What is it?" I turn my attention back to Lisa.

"You just zoned out...are you okay?" Lisa looks at me with worried eyes, "Are you sick?" She asks, putting a hand to my forehead.

"I'm fine Lili." I smile at my best friend, pulling her hand away.

"You're obviously not, you look like you saw a..." Lisa trails off when her eyes catch her figure too.

"Is that?" Lisa whispers to me and I nod. After all this time she still refuses to dye her hair back to its original colour.

"It's been so long...let's go say hi?"

"Sure." I smile, ignoring the warning bells in my head. It's been years and we've both moved on....right?

"Rosie!" Lisa calls out loudly and the blonde girl turns her attention from her book to us. I watched as Rosie smiled widely, closing her book, and grabbing her drink from the table.

"Hi." Rosie says in that Australian accent that I always found so endearing.

"Well hello to you too, stranger!" Lisa gets up engulfing Rosie in a tight hug.

"Hi." I return her greeting with a smile when our eyes meet and suddenly the memory of us enters the forefront of my mind.

"Stop it already."

"What? I'm not doing anything."

"Rosie." I look at the brunette in front of me and my heart skips a beat.

"I really don't know what you're talking about." Rosie shrugs, sipping on her frappuccino while I try to focus on my work.

"The staring..stop with the staring."

"I'm not staring, Jennie." She says pointedly, as if I don't feel her gaze following me around the counter.

"You are, and.." I caught myself before admitting to her that she was distracting me. Ugh I can already hear her cheekily say 'oh you think I'm distracting..why Jenjen? Why?'

"And???"

"And nothing. Just finish so I can clear your table."

"That's not very good customer service Jenjen."

"You're not a customer if you're just loitering in here."

"Excuse you, I still have a few sips of my frappe."

"Sure Roseanne."

"Say what you want Jenjen, I know you love it when I come to visit you." Rosie says in her Australian accent. Damn that accent for making her even more attractive.

"Only cause you give me a good tip each time." I wink at her, before turning my attention to the customer who just walked in.

~ ~ ~ ~

"So... you and the transfer student?" Lisa wiggles her eyebrows, and I chuckle, shaking my head, "No way. Rosie and I are just.."

"Dating." Rosie answers, placing an arm around my shoulders, "Right Jenjen?" She winks and I roll my eyes, "No way."

"That's not what you said last night."

"What? Last night? You told me you had work?" Lisa looks at me suspiciously.

"I did! Rosie loitered at Blackcup all day again."

"It's not loitering if I order something." Rosie defends, with a huff.