Protection (Makoto Naegi X OC Angst/Fluff)

Thank you CrystalFlame14 for requesting this. I'm sorry it took a while to get to, but I hope it will be worth it. Please remember that if any of you have requests to put them on the request page -the first chapter-.

~~~

Some people were skeptical when Makoto and Yaruko first started dating. Yaruko was quite strong -being the ultimate fighter and all-, and with her height she could be quite intimidating as well. Most of her first impressions to people came off as intimidating, and before long she had found herself threatening others more often than not. Perhaps it had something to do with the image people portrayed onto her, but Yaruko wasn't discouraged with who she had become.

After all, she wasn't alone. She had a loving boyfriend who looked past all

of her negative qualities, or the traits people stated were negative. Makoto loved Yaruko for who she was, and didn't plan on changing his mind anytime soon. There were times he wished he was stronger, but with Yaruko insisting that she loved him for who he was he was able to stand confidently next to his loving girlfriend.

There were some days that Yaruko would stay after school to train with Sakura and Mukuro, their talent's compatibility making them perfect sparring partners. Usually Makoto would stay alongside her, maybe leaving to come back with snacks for the three exhausted fighters.

Today was different though. Makoto had been experiencing a killer headache all day, and even he was surprised he lasted the entire day. Per Yaruko's request, he found himself heading back home without her. He didn't stay in the school dorms because he didn't believe he deserved to stay there with how his talent was simply luck. Besides, he enjoyed staying with his family; they were very supportive and a loving family.

Due to his pounding headache, he hadn't noticed that a couple of guys were trailing him, keeping some distance between him so he would be less likely to notice. That is, until he found himself being dragged into a nearby alleyway, a drug quickly being administered to him through a syringe.

It wasn't long before he found himself losing consciousness, wondering if this was how he died.

~ ~ ~

Yaruko had just recently finished her training session when she noticed a message on her phone. She didn't recognize the number, but when she saw Makoto in the video she felt her heart drop.

He was blindfolded and tied to a chair, various bruises scattered along his body. Even though he was blindfolded, the lighting in the room allowed Yaruko to see that he had been crying due to the pain. She felt her blood boil as the person speaking gave her a specific address to go to, and that if she brought anyone else into this, especially the police, they'd kill Makoto on the spot.

Yaruko immediately dropped her unnecessary bags, not wanting them to slow her down as she began to sprint to the location. She knew she wasn't necessarily a track star, but her stamina and speed would make sure she didn't lose steam too quickly.

When she had arrived at the location, she was met with some outside guards; introducing herself by knocking them out and busting the door down. She didn't have time to waste, and began searching through the area for her beloved boyfriend.

It wasn't long before she had found him, still tied up and heavily breathing. The guards inside the room had some guns, probably hoping to handicap her in some way, but they were taken care of before they even had the chance to act.

Grabbing one of the guard's pocket knives, Yaruko released Makoto from his bindings, quickly picking him up. With the blindfold off she could see just how badly he had been crying, his expression one of true terror.

"It's going to be okay Makoto; I got you. There's nothing to fear."

Yaruko continued to offer reassuring words as she carried him back to her own home. She did live in the dorms, as the gym and her ultimate lab were much closer, and she tended to work out quite often.

Once back in her dorm room, she set Makoto down on the nearby couch. She was going to get some spare clothes for Makoto, as he had some there since he would stay over from time to time, but found Makoto holding her back. His grip wasn't the strongest, but his entire frame was shaking, and he was still crying.

"P-Please, don't leave me..."

Yaruko could hear just how shaky Makoto's voice was, and decided to simply stay on the couch with Makoto. She brought him in for a hug, letting him decide how long they stayed like this. She couldn't even begin to imagine what he had gone through, and she had every intention to make him feel safe and loved.

"Makoto, I want to treat your injuries. Is it alright if I take off your hoodie?"

Yaruko usually wasn't this gentle with her words, but she knew Makoto needed soft words right now.

Makoto simply nodded his head, finding it hard to speak up. He allowed Yaruko to help him take off his hoodie, as his shakiness simply wouldn't allow him to do it himself.

Yaruko found herself for a loss for words when she saw how horrible the injuries Makoto had truly were. It seemed like they had given Makoto large cuts, then burned the area with acid. The cuts or area the acid affected wasn't deep or deadly, but it certainly looked quite painful.

As if on instinct, Yaruko found herself hugging Makoto, but making sure to be gentle and soft to ensure she didn't hurt Makoto.

"I'm so, so sorry this happened Makoto... You're safe now; I won't let anyone or anything hurt you."

Yaruko continued to give Makoto reassurance and comfort as she let him cry. She allowed him to get everything out, not daring to move away. After some time, she slowly pulled away from the hug.

"Do you mind if I grab things from my medicine cabinet? The sooner we treat your injuries the better."

After a moment or two, Makoto slowly nodded. He had calmed down somewhat, although obviously not perfectly better.

Seeing that Makoto would be alright, she stood up to grab the bandages and medicine to help her suffering boyfriend. She was quick to return, giving Makoto the medicine to help with the pain. She led him through some deep breathing techniques so he wouldn't choke on the medicine, before beginning to carefully put on the bandages.

When Yaruko was sure she had done a proper job tending to the injuries, she grabbed a nearby blanket so that the two of them could cuddle up. She had also turned on the TV, allowing Makoto to choose what movie they watched. She truly wanted him to feel better, and would stop at nothing to ensure he felt loved.

And there was no way in hell she would allow him to go to school the following day; after all that he had gone through he deserved a day off. Yaruko would ensure that her sweetheart of a boyfriend was given all the love and affection he deserved.

Even though people judged her by her outer appearance and attitude, she was truly caring deep down, and these were the times when she allowed this side of her to come out. She wasn't sure what she'd do without Makoto, as he was a positive influence in her life. Now was simply the time for her to return the favor.