Love Cures All (ZombieApocalypseAU Shuichi Saihara x Kaede Akamatsu Angst/Fluff)

I'm finally back. I'm sorry YoshikingBoi96 for taking so long, but here you are. I had more fun writing this than I thought, so I hope you'll enjoy it as well.

Remember to leave requests on the request page only. I do not write down any requests put on any other chapter or on my conversation's page on my profile. If you do not want to post your request publicly simply DM me and we can discuss the idea from there. Additionally, I'm only accepting one request from a person for now. I have around 50 scenarios to do, so I'm unable to take double requests at this time. Happy to be back everyone!

~ ~ ~

 Everything happened so fast, it truly was absurd. No one had time to prepare for the apocalypse. Someone had infiltrated the ultimate scientist's lab and messed with the chemicals. From there, zombies started increasing in their numbers. One zombie would bite someone, bringing them to the group.

Some of the more athletic and fighting-based ultimates did their best to hold off the zombies while the others escaped. Even then, all it took was a single bite to turn friend into foe. Classes tried to stay together, and the class Kaede and Shuichi attended was no exception.

"Gonta will protect you all."

"Does anyone know a safe place we can hide?"

"I hope Maki Roll is alright..."

Kaede wanted to say words of hope, to encourage her fellow classmates, but when the world is quite literally ending it's hard to think of words to say. Not to mention Maki, Tenko, and Kirumi could be zombies at this point.

"Wait, there's one over there!"

We all turned in the direction Rantaro pointed, to indeed see a couple of zombies approaching. Given his dual talents of adventurer and survivor, he was easily the best choice to lead the group. Despite that, it wasn't long before everyone was scattering around. Kaede could only look in horror as some of her classmates were bitten before her eyes. Himiko... Tsumugi... Kokichi... Their bodies were quick to deteriorate and change, their eyes losing the life they once had.

"Come on Kaede, we have to go!"

Kaede's legs were trembling, but when her hand was grabbed they finally started to work. She ran with the person in question, who was Shuichi. She knew the both of them had a close bond, and it was reassuring to have someone you trust to be there to help you.

"But Himiko... and the rest of them. They're being turned as we speak."

Kaede's eyes watered, having trouble resisting to look back at what was once her classmates.

"I know... but we can't do anything about it if we let ourselves be turned as well."

Shuichi's voice was shaky, the lack of confidence evident. Even so, he wanted to be strong for Kaede's sake. He had friends fighting on the front lines, others leading groups to safety, and here he is, only to lead one person to what is hopefully safety.

"You... You're right. Where do you think we should hide?"

"I'm not sure yet, but I'm sure we'll find someplace soon."

As the two continued to run, a bank came into sight. Seeing an opportunity, Shuichi led her to the bank. Perhaps if they could get inside the large safe, they could be safe behind it.

"Do you really think we'll be safe there?" Kaede questioned. She didn't want to doubt Shuichi, but the situation leaves you needing to consider every possibility.

"It's our best chance. There must be a code or key somewhere."

Kaede helped Shuichi in his search, it taking longer than it could've been if any of the staff were still there. Eventually, Shuichi did find the key and the two of them headed to the safe.

"We should be safe in here-"

Kaede was cut off by a scream; the scream of a zombie. The both of them turned to see a zombie much closer than expected. It was ready to attack, and without thinking Shuichi pushed Kaede inside the safe and closed it.

"Wait, Shuichi!" Kaede cried out.

Shuichi was in the middle of locking it when the zombie finally bit him. He cried out in pain, his mind losing focus much faster than he expected. The key was left half done, his mind escaping him.

Meanwhile, Kaede found herself in horror. Shuichi... He was a zombie. He sacrificed himself for her. He... He can't be gone, right? No, there's no way...

Despite knowing the dangers, Kaede messed with the door handle to escape from the safe. The first zombie had left, leaving Shuichi a couple feet away from the safe's entrance. From the first step Kaede took, Shuichi instantly turned around to see her.

Kaede's heart was racing, refusing to run away back into the safe. She could probably hide in there for a long time, wait for rescue or a cure... But the thought of leaving Shuichi to be left in this state, to be hurt by zombie-killers, was too much.

"Shuichi, you have to remember me. I'm Kaede, your friend."

Shuichi simply began to approach Kaede. His body was still getting used to being a zombie, meaning he was a bit slower than what he would be soon enough. His mouth was left slightly open, ready to bite Kaede and turn her into one of them.

"Shuichi, you're a detective. A really amazing one at that. You help find lost pets, you train with Kaito and Maki under the stars, you've been learning how to play the piano with me. I'm not your enemy!"

Shuichi had momentarily paused when hearing 'piano', but it wasn't long before he continued his approach. The closer he became, Kaede was forced little by little to back up. After a couple of minutes of pleading, her back was to the wall with Shuichi closing in. He continuously tried to lean forward to bite her, but wasn't successful in any attempt.

Kaede could feel her heart shattering, the sight of Shuichi reduced to this mindless zombie... This was all her fault. She could've pulled Shuichi into the safe as well; he sacrificed himself to save her.

Perhaps as a last resort, or simply wanting her last action to be her choice, she swiftly stepped forward and gave Shuichi a hug. Her grip was tight, and the positioning of her head on his shoulder made it difficult to turn his head to bite her. Whispering Shuichi's name over and over, she refused to let go. She loved Shuichi, and wasn't going to give up on him, even as a zombie.

A few moments passed, and Shuichi's body went somewhat limp. His head wasn't trying to aim to bite her, and the hands trying to claw her away ceased in their efforts. Slowly but surely, he made his first coherent word.

"Ka.... Kaede...?"

Kaede was shocked, gently pulling away from the hug. She grabbed Shuichi's hands and held them.

"Yes, I'm Kaede." She pointed to herself, "And you're Shuichi." She pointed to Shuichi.

It looked like Shuichi was trying to process what she had said, trying to form a response.

"Shu... Shi... Shushi?"

It wasn't perfect, but it was progress. Kaede smiled warmly, nodding softly.

"I'm your friend. I want to help you."

"Friend...?"

Kaede nodded, refusing to let go of Shuichi's hands. The fact that a zombie could be talked to and calmed down from their murderous rage was something that people needed to know. This could be a clue to stopping the apocalypse.

"Come with me. I'm going to help you... And I promise one day you'll return to your true self."

Kaede understood that Shuichi probably couldn't tell what she was saying, but that was fine. She refused to give up on Shuichi. No matter what happened, she was going to return him to his previous self.

Shuichi said nothing, but when gently tugged by Kaede, he followed her. Within his foggy mind, somewhere he could tell that this was the right thing to do. Even when changed beyond comprehension, he would follow Kaede until the very end.