Chapter Nine

It was already raining when her eyelids already felt too heavy to open. Her mind had been taken off her body and for the whole day, Cate never went home, instead, she busied herself wandering and hopping from bars on the east coast, hoping to finally forget about everything. It was already eleven in the evening when she parked in her building's garage, and the bones in her body felt too brittle, perhaps, it was because of the too much alcohol intake, or maybe, she just felt too weak. She closed her eyes as she got out of her car as she felt that her eyes were ready to brawl out. She trudged into the building, sauntering the empty hallways with her bag already dropped on the floor. She walked silently inside the elevator, pressed the floor to where her condominium was and every minute that she was inside felt like eternity.

Her condo was dark when she arrived home, yet the empty bottles of tequila were down on the floor. There were cigar butts unattended on the center table. She sighed as a gush of Sandy's ghost linger around. She knew Sandy's wasted and hurt too. The stillness and the silence of the whole space was extremely disturbing so she decided to walk into her own room, but when she took her first step unto the stairs, faint sobs coming from the bathroom were heard.

It broke her heart when she came into the scene. Sandy, in Cate's button-sleeve shirt was slumped down on the bathroom's wet floor and she was crying and literally shaking. The shower was on and Sandy was under it, hugging herself. Perhaps, wanting to be cleansed from everything that clung unto her body. Cate immediately dropped her bag and ushered towards Sandy. She knelt in front of her, not minding the fact that she was gradually being hit by the water. Well, she didn't mind getting wet. Her mind was focused on Sandy, despite not knowing what really happened and despite the very fact that she had been betrayed or if not, been lied to, she needed Sandy and she could not cater the scenario in front of her eyes.

"Hey... baby. Hush now." She whispered as she knelt in front, taking Sandy's face with her hands, "Stop crying."

"Cate... I do not deserve you."

Her heart broke hearing those words from her lover. Yet, the pain didn't matter to her. She shook her head as her thumbs wiped away the tears that were staining Sandy's face.

"No... no, don't say that." Cate consoled, planting a soft kiss on her forehead before she dared to look at Sandy and met her in the eyes, "Everything is gonna be alright. And baby, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for not protecting you enough, but I am here and I will never leave. We can leave the past behind and we'll do that together." Cate spoke, eyes soft and gleamy as she stared at Sandy, "You will be okay, I promise."

Sandy didn't talk. But true enough, Cate's words comforted her and somehow she managed to smile a bit. Cate smiled and kissed her, but as Sandy felt those sweet lips ushering against her, she was quick to put her arms around Cate's neck, slowly deepening the kiss. Cate closed her eyes and  whatever was about to happen struck her mind. Sandy was raped and she didn't want to take advantage now that she was broken and vulnerable. She broke the kiss and stood up, and Sandy followed her too.

"Baby, you're vulnerable right now and I love you, okay?" She cupped her face with her right hand as her left hand dropped on Sandy's lower back, "I just don't want to take advantage on you."

"I need you. Make love to me."

Cate looked at her for a few seconds, trying to see if Sandy was on the right track or not. Of course, they've had sex a lot of times, but that night was different. She was raped and Cate didn't want to force her to something that could remind her of what happened. But the long Cate stared at Sandy, all she saw was Sandy's desperate need.

Sandy touched Cate's lips, "I need you tonight."

And with what has been said, Cate pulled her body even closer, til there was no space left behind as she claimed Sandy's lips. It didn't take so much time when she decided to crash Sandy's back against the wall. The shower was still on, but the definite fire raging inside both of their bodies was enough to shut down the coldness. Cate kissed her lips, down to her jaw untill she met Sandy's neck where she took so much of her time kissing and licking because she knew it's Sandy's favorite spot. Sandy, with her eyes closed, and mouth opened had tilted her head, giving Cate more access to her neck. Her hands roamed around Cate's back as Cate kissed and licked her collarbone down. Soft moans and subtle sighs escaped Sandy's mouth when Cate's lips travelled from her collarbone down to her stomach and she had found herself begging. It was fire when Cate knelt down and met the spot where Sandy wanted her the most.

Subtle sighs and the heaving of Sandy's chest made Cate stood up as she made her reach into climax. Sandy's face was flustered, and slowly, she opened her eyes meeting Cate's cerulean eyes, and there was that longing stare. When the hearts didn't know what to say, the mouths couldn't form a coherent phrase, it was their eyes who made all the talking. Sandy rested her head on Cate's shoulder and Cate closed her eyes as she kissed the side of her face.

"You're safe... you are safe with me and you will be safe as long as I am here." Cate whispered as she slowly felt hot tears on her shoulder.

"I don't deserve you." Sandy looked up, tears on her face, "I don't deserve to be treated with utmost love and respect and kindness, Cate." She shook her head, "I don't. Why are you doing this?"

Cate touched her face gently, "Because I love you. And when people love, they will do everything. Listen to me, you deserve everything I'm doing to you because you are a great individual." Cate mumbled, tears slowly springing out from her eyes, "I love you beyond your imperfections. I love you because you are Sandra; you're my anchor and my stay."

Sandy smiled, despite the tears covering her eyes. And for Cate, it was enough. The smile was enough for her to know that everything would be okay.

***