Chapter Ten

The night was full of stillness and when she opened the door to her room, Sandy was there, her back against the door, sleeping. She sighed. It wasn't supposed to happen to them - their relationship was almost perfect, and so she found herself questioning what had she done wrong. Cate knew she wasn't perfect, she had multiple failed relationships to which up until now, she knew it was her fault to why those ended. Heartbreaks weren't knew to her. She leaped from heartbreaks to heartbreaks in between breaths and yet, she didn't know what it looks like: it looked like Sandy, and she wasn't wrong. Partly it did. Perhaps, to be blind was the only option just so it wouldn't hurt much. Sandy had been a huge part of her, yet she didn't feel it. Cate didn't feel her anymore, but what could she do? Her love for Sandy outweighed everything.

How could she look at her again without being reminded of what happened? A part of Cate was blaming herself for what happened. How could she didn't suspect anything?  She wanted to rewind time, in hopes of doing so, she might protect her lover this time. Without her realizing, her tears fell. She silently closed the door as she decided to walk to the bed where Sandy was sleeping. They did not talk much about everything that had happened still, because after she bathed Sandy, fed her, the brunette walked inside the room. Cate decided to just let her and so she was left in the living room with all the empty bottles of tequila and limes. Cate wanted to sleep, to just slip in under the cover with Sandy, to breathe in her scent and to somehow forget, but she couldn't.

She watched Sandy sleeping peacefully. Her wavy brunettes stained the pillows, her shoulders bare, her chest rose and fell. Her face was calm, but Cate knew that deep down inside, Sandy wasn't. She had her demons too. Cate was horrified to see her on the bathroom floor, shaking and crying. She was close to losing it all. And so, despite the fact that she too was drunk, she came running to her, scooping her into her arms. Shaking the thoughts, she slowly lifted her fingers and went on to touching the bridge of Sandy's nose, and she moved, a little, just a little. And somehow, it kept her a bit of joy. Sandy moved again, almost waking up.

"Sleep still, baby." Cate whispered as she placed a sweet kiss on the back of Sandy's ear gently, afraid that she might wake her up, "Sleep, honey." She mumbled softly as she placed another kiss on her forehead.

And magically, Sandy slept back in. Cate didn't know if Sandy had been awake, but she was thankful that she went back to sleeping. It's two in the morning, the city was sleeping, but in the confine of her own home, trapped inside her own room, Cate was awake, couldn't sleep. Her sanity had slipped away and her soul was restless, but the only thing that could pull her  back together was the woman sleeping in front  of her. Sandy, her sweet and her world, her medicine and her calm amidst the feral waves. She could watch her sleeping for eternity, and that was what she had intended to do.  Cate brought her hand on Sandy's hand. She didn't know why she did so, but the physical contact was good. Sandy's hand was giving her warmth. She wanted to bring it to her mouth, and kiss it, but she didn't want to make any bigger move for it could wake her lover up. She was about to withdrew her hand when Sandy held it even tighter. An  indication that she didn't want to be let go.

"Don't let go." Sandy mumbled softly, it almost came out as a mere whisper, but she heard it well, "Don't let me go." Eyes still closed.

Cate paused. It had hit her two times. Was Sandy speaking about her hand, or was she speaking about their relationship? Whichever it was, Cate gathered her breath, before she held Sandy's hand tighter too.

"I'm here, honey. I am never letting you go."

Sandy fluttered her eyes open. That gleam glow reaching out to Cate.  She had a small smile on her eyes.

"Stay?"

They both paused.

"Don't go. Stay with me." Sandy mumbled again, eyebrows creasing as she stared at Cate.

"I'll stay. I won't ever leave you, honey and you should know that."

Sandy smiled hearing her. She watched as Cate lovingly stared back at her before she tapped the space on the bed.

"Bed?"

Cate  smiled. She then slid out of her robe, tossed it on the floor before she joined Sandy on bed. The moment Cate was tapered on bed, she then flung her arm out, letting the brunette in. Sandy smiled, closing her eyes as she buried her head on the blonde's neck. The scent of chamomile and lavender from Cate's lotion was intoxicating her, but it was what she needed. She needed to feel Cate; she needed her. The darkness of the room, the silent of the night, and Cate lying by her side was enough for Sandra to think that she would not be dejected forever. As long as Cate was with her, she'd be okay, eventually.

"Cate?"

"Yes, love?"

"I am sorry."

"Ssshh. You've had enough today. We can talk about it next time, okay?" Cate spoke as she gently rubbed Sandy's back.

"I love you."

Sandy rose up and planted a kiss on the blonde's forehead. A kiss on her head, another kiss on the blonde's nose, to her cheeks and lastly, a soft peck on the blonde's lips. Cate was silent, eyes closed. The kisses were short, but those were the sweetest things that she had ever tasted that day. Sandy startled when she realized that there were tears on the blonde's face.

"Oh my god. I'm sorry. Did I hurt you, baby?"

"No, no. I'm just happy." Cate wiped her tears, "Stay with me too. No matter what happens." She spoke, her voice gentle and soothing that it almost melt Sandy's existence.

"Leaving you, that I cannot do. You are my oxygen and I need you so much... more than you can imagine." Sandy replied, before she reached out to claim the blonde's lips again.

***