Chapter Twenty One

"How about your car?"

Cate gave her a shrug, "I can pick it up in the morning."

Hearing it, the brunette smiled. She then threw her keys at Cate to which the blonde caught it just right. Cate smiled at her before she opened the door for Sandra and when the brunette stepped in, she turned to the other side and did too.

The night settled down and the wilding crowd of the city grew thin. The cold streets of New York had been wet with the sudden downpour of rainfall just two hours ago. The aromatic petrichor caused by the rain calmed their nerves down. As they both slipped into Sandra's car, the lights on the streets glowed even more. It was when they noticed that the skies were even brighter that night. And even if the night was cold, their hearts were warm. The moon gleamed like how their eyes did; the night was just perfect. They sat inside the car, slowly and romantically ambling in the moment as they watched the starry skies silently and smelled the rain-soaked pavement. Two once-upon-a-time lovers, sitting just a few inches away, and their hands were too close, but both didn't touch, but they knew their hearts did.

"Where to, ma'am?" Cate broke the silence as she started the car.

Sandra smiled, "Home."

No questions were asked. Home - that word hit their cores, and Cate needed not to be told where, because she knew where that home was. She was once there, once lived there with the woman sitting beside her. It was sad to think that Sandra's home wasn't hers anymore, but it was great to think that Sandra just said "home", as if she still lived there. A huge chunk of silence replaced the scene. A peeling awkwardness sat between the two, but when the blonde started the car, and even if both were looking ahead, their lips were wearing beautiful smiles. They drove away in full silence and as time went on, the awkwardness diminished like bubbles dying into thin air. Cate gave occasional glances at the brunette, and everytime she did, Sandra would look back at her and they would share a silent smile. Cate's stares were filled with so much longing and love, as if she wished time could stop still and that she could hold that very one thing she regretted losing: Sandra.

"Do you mind if we turn the radio on?" Cate asked.

"Yeah, sure. Let me." Sandra replied, her fingers reached the radio button and they laughed when Ariana Grande's 34+35 blasted.

Can you stay up all night?
Fuck me 'til the daylight
Thirty-four, thirty-five

Can you stay up all night? (All night)
Fuck me 'til the daylight
Thirty-four, thirty-five

"Oh we're too old for that song." Sandra chuckled and she went to another channel.

I should be over all the butterflies
But I'm into you (I'm into you)
And baby even on our worst nights
I'm into you (I'm into you)

"That's too --" Cate laughed.

"What?"

She shook her head and laughed, "I don't know."

Sandra rolled her eyes, "You're crazy." And she switched the channel again.