Chapter Forty Three

"Marry me, right here. Right now." 

Sandra's lips trembled as her heart started to shake; an earthquake in her body. Although she didn't want to admit it, she was loving it. The hollow in her throat began to welcome the lumps that were starting to form each second that passed and she felt restless, standing there inside the church, in her rain-drenched clothes. 

"Baby." Cate took a step closer to her, "Marry me." 

It wasn't a question. It was an order. The brunette's blood started to swirl and her skin felt too thin, as if she was just standing there naked. Cate's eyes were staring at her, waiting for her red lips to open and utter the words that the blonde wanted to hear. If it was a different time and if they were in a different situation, then Sandra would not just stand there in silence. If only it was a good time. If only they were stuck in their own fairytale, then she would immediately say yes, breathe the air that Cate was breathing, ravel in her skin, and chase her lips in a chaste kiss. But no, they weren't in a tale. It was bad timing, for she was in a bad chapter and she didn't want to hold the blonde's hands because she didn't want to drag her into the mess that she made. 

The silence was too much and when the blonde's lips opened again, her tears fell, "Marry me, please..." Her brows furrowed as she tried to blink her tears away. 

Sandra backed off. There were fears and thunderclaps trapped  behind her brown eyes. There was an immense doubt in her heart and so she took a step back. Her parted lips were now closed as she shook her head. She wanted the moment to die and she wished that Cate asking her for marriage was just the voice in her mind. 

"Baby..." Cate mumbled, "I want to marry y ---." 

But before she could even lay the words on the floor, Sandra ran out of the church. Her hurried steps against the marbled floor of Sagrada Familia echoed around the space, and along with it, were the sniffs as her tears fell. Cate's mouth hung as she watched the love of her life running away. Cate ran too, in hopes of chasing her, but when she stood on the church's door, she stopped. The rain hadn't stopped and it was falling so heavy against the pavements of Barcelona. Cate sighed as she watched the brunette just meters away from where she was standing. Sandra stood and let herself be soaked under the rain.

"Don't come near me!" Sandra hissed.

"You are such a fucking coward! You are a coward! You are giving me a repeat of what happened almost two years ago. Just say yes!" Cate shouted at her, the rain slowly blurring her voice, "Fucking say yes to me!" 

"Are you out of your mind?" Sandra wiped her face as she ran her hands frustratedly through her hair. She shouted back, her voice breaking like a glass as she stared at her lover, "Aren't you thinking?" 

"What the fuck are you talking about?" The blonde countered as she finally stepped out of the church, the rain falling over their heads as she walked to where the brunette was. 

Sandra bit her lip. The sounds of the rain hitting the pavement, the sounds of the loud thumping of her heart and the sounds of the voice inside her head were all too loud. She looked around. The golden lampposts gleamed, and it was only them, except for the beggar on the far east of the street, but fuck it, she wouldn't care. 

"I fucking killed her! Don't you fucking get that?' She snapped, and even though her face was tinted with the rainfall, her tears were still very visible, "I killed! I killed a fucking person! Catherine! And you want to marry me? What the fuck is wrong with your brain? Are you out of your mind? Are you---"