Chapter Twelve

"Who hurt you?"

Cate looked up, taking her eyes away from the bottle of vodka she was nursing. The lights from the bar was lively, and the music was loudly deafening. She opened her mouth, somewhere on her tongue, the words got lost and she was a bit shocked to have been asked by a complete stranger with a question so daring.

She raised her brow, neon green and blue lights hitting her face and she squinted, "Excuse me?"

She forgot how many hours she's been in the bar. But she sure as hell she's been there for like forever. And she hated it - despised to be approached by a mere stranger especially because she was not wearing a disguise. She's Cate Blanchett and everybody in the world knows her; she just wanted a night - a night for herself, a night to think, a night to be wasted, a night to not give a goddamn fuck and a night to not be herself, to not be Cate Blanchett.

The woman, probably younger than her laughed, voice resonating like a loud vinyl as she leaned on the countertop and pointed at the bottles in front of Cate, "I mean - with that? Two empty bottles of vodka? Five, oh no, six glasses of tequila? So... who hurt you?" She asked, her sunglass perching up above the bridge of her nose.

"It's none of your business and I am not your business to start with." Cate countered and went back to downing and emptying her full shot of tequila.

"You're the great Cate Blanchett." The woman started again, her voice raspy and thick as she emphasized the great, "You are everyone's business."

"Oh fuck off." Cate glared at her, trying to focus her blurry vision, "It's almost midnight or maybe it's midnight already!" Cate yelled, trying to let the woman in front of her hear her, "And you are wearing sunglasses? What are you? A paparazzi or some cheap unknown journa--- oh my goodness." Her mouth hung open, eyes widened in disbelief.

The woman smiled as she took her sunglasses off. The music at the bar grew louder and louder and the lights were so alive yet blinding, but Cate was sure that she had been staring at the same eyes that she did years ago. Those eyes were once her home.

"Rooney?" She laughed, "What are you doing here?"

Rooney laughed. Her dimples gradually escaping and waving their hello to Cate. She looked at Cate, her eyes relieved to have met her again, after so many years. She sat and moved closer to the blonde. Cate was smiling from ear to ear and somehow, she forgot about her grieving heart.

"You're drunk." Rooney spoke, eyes still digging at the blonde.

"You didn't answer my question. What are you doing here at California?"

"My answer would be the same as yours." Rooney jested before she got the glass of vodka from Cate's hand and drunk it empty, "I got my heart broken too." She answered casually before she drunk the whole content and Cate watched her as she put down the glass.

Cate knew she was drunk, but having Rooney beside her sobered her up. She shook her head as she heard Rooney's answer. What a coincidence: two ex-lovers who got their hearts broken, meeting at a private island in California. She bit her lip as she stared at Rooney whose eyes were once again covered in thick-rimmed Chanel sunglasses,  busy surveying the crowd. After quite a few seconds, Cate perched up on her seat and looked at the busy wilding crowd dancing to the beat of Ariana Grande's Love Me Harder.

"I'm glad to see you here." Cate hissed.

Rooney looked away from the people who were dancing  skin to skin and turned at her, "I heard you got your heart broken too. The tabloids weren't clear about the reason though." She leaned and brought her lips to Cate's ear, "What did Sandra Bullock do to you?"

"I'd be glad to answer that, but not here." Cate's lips ghosted on her neck, voice raw and sultry.

Rooney raised her brow, lips parting, somehow trying to decipher what was meant by Cate's words. It wasn't long before Rooney started to stand up and tugged Cate by her hand, ushering her away from the dancing crowd. The way out was hard; people were wilding - kissing and making out on each corner of the bar, and Cate's system wasn't cooperating that well. The alcohol hit her badly and her head was spinning like an endless loop, however, Cate knew what was happening. Rooney was the one guiding her out, holding her hand tightly and reassuringly. The feel of the younger woman's hand against her own felt so familiar. And the occasional glances and smiles that Rooney gave her were tugging a subtle spring of what could have beens. What if they didn't break? What if their relationship didn't end? For sure, she would not end up with Sandra, but still, what if she and Rooney made it through? She felt her emotions up in her throat. She didn't know if it was the alcohol taking its toll on her, or if it's because of her ex-girlfriend somehow rescuing her at the darkest phase that she was in at the moment. Cate was taken aback when Rooney pushed a door. The room was new to her vision, but it didn't feel peculiar at all. Somehow, the vibe felt like home.

They both stood by the door. Rooney was telling her something - more like asking if she was okay, but she could not understand a word. All she knew was that Rooney's smile was on display, and Rooney herself was real, standing beside her. All she had noticed was how beautiful Rooney was and her heart tugged, leaped and almost flew -  realizing how much she missed her. Cate was drunk, but she was conscious and she knew in herself that all she wanted at that very moment was to kiss her. And so she did. She pulled the younger woman by her neck and kissed her fiercely. The kiss was hot and hurried - as if she was hungry and the kiss was the only remedy. Rooney was shocked, but in a few seconds, she relaxed under the kiss. Cate pinned her at the door when the kiss transitioned to deep, sweet and slow - both clearly savoring the moment. Their lips moved in synch, as if singing a song they both loved dearly. A soft moan escaped from Rooney's lips when her hands were pinned by Cate above her head, and the blonde strongly held it in place. Cate's lips ghosted Rooney's and it travelled down her neck - licking, sucking and marking it like it's her damn property, before she moved up and kissed the pulsating pulse point of Rooney which made the younger woman gasped in pleasure. It didn't take long when Rooney was able to hold Cate back, pulling her even closer - pressing their hot bodies into one.

"Cate..." A muffled voice broke through Rooney's lips and she had to hold unto the blonde's neck to support her already brittled body.

Cate licked her collarbone before she looked at Rooney with dark and lustful eyes, "What?"

"Don't stop."

"Who said I will?"

***