Chapter Fifteen

𝑺𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒔𝒉𝒆 𝒏𝒆𝒆𝒅𝒔 𝒕𝒐 𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒖𝒆 𝒑𝒖𝒕𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒂 𝒔𝒆𝒎𝒊𝒄𝒐𝒍𝒐𝒏, 𝒐𝒓 𝒔𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒔𝒉𝒆 𝒈𝒐 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒂 𝒑𝒆𝒓𝒊𝒐𝒅?

***

"For the past months, I tried. Because I know that you're mad and you want to get rid of me." She looked at Cate once more, eyes digging and full of vulnerability, "Cate, you know I don't want to be a loser. You know I hate losing. But in the game of unloving you, this - I know, I cannot win."

Sandra took a leap of faith. And even if her eyes were streaming so much tears that she barely could see and breathe, she stood there, in front of Cate - in front of the woman she loved dearly. She waited for her to speak, waited to know her sentiments. Her knees wanted to collapse, but in her spot, she waited for her. Even if the inner voice of her told her to just walk away, she stood on her spot. It was a shameful scene - crying in front of her, subtly begging her to love her again.

"In almost of always, you only see me in afters." And at last, the blonde spoke, "You said you love me, but you still cheated on me." The blonde's eyes started pushing out tears, and her voice sounded weak, the words were harsh and it stabbed like the sharpest knife, she cheated and technically, it was true. "Even if I was drunk, no matter how many times I've been hit on, I never and would ever do what you did. You still lied. You kept it from me for so long, and if I didn't catch you, I don't think you would tell it to me. I could have done something to protect you, but you did that to yourself! You fucking did that to yourself, Sandra!" She screamed at her and it made Sandra flinch. Her voice rose up and her tears were falling freely like a damn waterfall.

"I tried to--"

"No, you fucking didn't!" She cut her off as she took a move towards her and Sandra flinched once more, and when they stood face to face, Cate bowed her head and sobbed, "You didn't try because if you did, I wouldn't be here."

"I'm sorry."

Cate looked at her. The pain and anger were transparent on her face. Her lips were trembling. Her ears were red and her eyes were holding back tears, trying so hard to not break down. Yet, as she watched her, Cate took a move. She wiped her tears and she exhaled, hinting so much finality. She never opened her mouth again. She just looked at Sandra before she shook her head and started walking away.

"Cate! Let's talk, please... Cate!" With her heart already bits of pieces on the floor, she ran towards the blonde, held her hand and made her stop, "Don't go..." She uttered, her voice breaking down, but she didn't care.

Cate never turned back at her. She just stopped on her place with Sandra behind her holding her hand. Sandra wanted to turn her around and look into her eyes, but she was scared. She was too scared to see the pain inside the blonde's eyes.

"I do not want to see you." Cate mumbled softly.

"So that's it? We're totally done?" Sandra asked and went in front of the blonde who was already hanging her head down, "Please. I can correct my mistakes. Just don't do this... please?" Sandra started sobbing, "You and me, forever right? Baby, please... let's work it out." She held Cate's hand, but the blonde withdrew her hand, "...forever, we are. Remember?"

Cate, in her weakest version stared at her, face already full of tears, "We found forever in the longest time. Five years, Sandra. Five fucking years and you ruined it. You fucking ruined it."