Chapter Sixteen

Rooney's stomach hurt as she watched Sandra walking away triumphantly. Her lips started cursing her name. Her blood boiled remembering every word that came out of Sandra's lips. Indeed, tasting your own medicine wasn't quite the best thing one should do. Without realizing, her tears fell.

"You are not Cate's wife at all."

It swirled around Rooney's head and she stood there on the shore, anger took over her whole system. She was so mad at Sandra that the veins in her head could be seen. When she composed herself back, she took a deep sigh before started slapping herself. She slapped herself countless times - hard and thick slaps landed on her cheeks, and after which, she started grabbing her own hair. If she couldn't have Cate, Sandra shouldn't too. When she felt like she already looked like a disaster, she started walking back to the hotel.

"Oh my God! What happened to you?"

Cate's heart flew at the sight of Rooney. Her hair was so messy and her face had been tainted with red handprints. Rooney stood outside her suite's door, her tears falling freely from her eyes and her shoulders were uncontrollably shaking. Her fragility was scattered with the way she was sobbing and Cate startled.

"What happened?" Cate asked once more as she ushered Rooney in.

The young woman gave her a stare. Her eyes -  glassy and weary. Cate looked at her back, silently encouraging her to answer her question. She waited for Rooney to utter, and as Rooney tried to speak, her words got lost in her throat, her lips trembled. Without needing her to speak once more, Cate pulled the younger woman into an embrace. She could ask her later, but for that moment, the blonde knew a hug would better Rooney up. Cate hugged her tightly and when Rooney was trapped in between the blonde's frame, she started sobbing. The weight of the younger woman's cries was a burden Cate had to feel deep in her core. She was unsure what happened to Rooney, but she was also unsure of what was worse: Rooney crying or Sandra begging. She dragged Rooney with her as she sat on the bed and Rooney sat on her lap, still clinging to her like a baby, with her head buried on Cate's chest. They had spent quite a few minutes before Rooney stopped.

"What happened?" Cate asked, her voice soft while her hands cupped Rooney's cheeks, subtly wiping down her tears with her thumbs.

"Sandra..."

"What?"

Rooney stood up, and wiped her tears. Cate's eyes never left her as the blonde waited to her to speak again.

"Sandra... she slapped me and grabbed my hair." Rooney started, and as she blurted those lies out, she began sobbing again, "I... I didn't know why. I was just walking along the hallway. I was about to walk back into my own suite, but then she came out of a sudden." She muttered, with her fingers pinched together, "I even greeted her and I smiled, but then she slapped me and dragged me by my hair. She was so mad at me. And I felt so scared. I didn't fight. I didn't wanna fight her. I was so afraid."

Cate rushed up and hugged Rooney again for she felt like the younger woman was so devastated. Her voice breaking as each word came out. The blonde kissed Rooney's forehead as she whispered her things, trying to console her. Cate's heart was torn in half, while Rooney's heart was full as she noticed that the blonde was completely eating her lies.

-----

"Hi. My call is not at the perfect time, but may I know if Sandra Bullock is at the hotel at the moment?" Cate called the front desk, "Yes. I just need to speak to her. Is she in? Oh, thank you. I feel delighted. Suite 198, third floor. Thank you." And with that, she ended the call.