Chapter Twenty

I walked through the door with you
The air was cold
But something about it felt like home somehow
And I, left my scarf there at your sister's house
And you've still got it in your drawer even now

"Hi..."

Sandra turned around. And when she did, the air around the whole space felt so frigid. Her breath hitched when her brown eyes met that calming cyan-blue pair that she once fell in love with. Stunningly beautiful and sexy in her red suit, Cate Blanchett offered her a smile. She stopped - when did the last time she see that smile? Months? A year? She lost count when, actually. And suddenly, Sandra's heart felt like it was the perfect moment to throb abnormally. Could the blonde hear her heart?

"Hey..."

Oh, your sweet disposition
And my wide-eyed gaze
We're singing in the car, getting lost upstate
Autumn leaves falling down like pieces into place
And I can picture it after all these days

"You look beautiful."

"Thank you. You too." The brunette smiled and paused, "As always."

Cate stepped closer, "So..."

"So..."

"This is awkward." A soft chuckle came off, "I didn't know you would be here."

"Yeah this is, you know..." The brunette looked around, "...awkward."

Sandra chuckled. And Cate did too. Somehow, their soft giggles danced in synch. This merited a smile from a blonde and she was afraid if her smile was too much. Would Sandra notice that she's blushing? She silently hoped not.

And I know it's long gone and that magic's not here no more
And I might be okay but I'm not fine at all

"How are you?"

"I'm fine. How are you?"

"Still alive." Cate smiled, "I've heard you've been very busy. I'm assuming you totally forgot about me. You didn't stay in touch." The blonde joked.

Sandra gave her a side look. Who the hell would stay in touch with an ex?

"Uhm that was a joke." The blonde spoke when she didn't hear a reply, "Would you like to drink?"

"Oh no, I don't drink anymore."

"So you've forgotten about your immense love for tequila?"

Sandra laughed, "Hmmm I'd like to say I did."

"How about I get us one shot each?"

"No, thank you."

'Cause there we are again on that little town street
You almost ran the red 'cause you were lookin' over at me
Wind in my hair, I was there
I remember it all too well

In silence, under the million gleaming stars, they went out of the party. The space was too crowded and it was too noisy for the both of them. Cate absentmindely placed her hand on the small of Sandra's back as she guided her out, and it sent a shiver on Sandra's spine. The touch, it was gentle, yet it was electrifying and somehow, her body still recognized it; it was beautifully familiar.