Chapter Eleven

The morning dews were apparent on the glass window of the Californian hotel that she was staying at. Each dew fell on the pane as if it was a tear cradling its way to a sanctuary it didn't wanna be at. The sun was out, dancing its rays up in the sky as it greeted and distributed its existence to the island. Cate could hear the buzzing of the bees and the chirping of the birds outside. Looking out, the spectacular view of the ocean was stretching its way towards the horizon - it stretched, and stretched so far. Ocean: gentle, calming, blue waves, but her mind drifted to the other ocean she once owned, once had, but still loved - Sandy.  And now it all seemed unreachable. It felt as if it happened yesterday. The happenings were still fresh, and it was as if she was looking into a television screen, watching the scenes rewinding their way back to the beginning.

Funny though, she didn't know where did it all begin. She wanted to ask for the turning point of how it all began, but she didn't have the strength for everytime her lips try to speak, it would tremble. She couldn't even look at her in the eyes anymore for Cate would just be reminded of the betrayal and it would just shatter her more. That night when she tucked her in to a dreamless sleep, she stayed awake. She blamed herself over the situation that Sandy got herself into and without Sandy knowing, she cried silently that night. The brunette asked her to never let go and she vowed not to. Her lips spoke a promise that she would stay, because that was what she wanted, really wanted to do. She wanted to stay, to live a shared life with her and to spend the rest of her seconds with Sandy; she expected to spend her last exhale with her, but it all came to dust.

She clearly remembered that morning. She woke up with Sandy on top of her, sleeping. The faint and saccharine fragrance of Sandy's hair was still  lingering in her system, tickling her as if Sandy was still with her. She remembered rubbing light circles on the brunette's back, whispering sweet nothings and eventually leaving the bed. Sandy was still asleep, and she placed a kiss on her head. She stood up naked, hand grabbing her robe that was discarded on the floor from last night's activity. She then walked downstairs and prepared breakfast for her. She thought of starting anew and her heart scribbled a poem of eternity for Sandy. Too bad, Sandy spoke the truth that had pushed her to speak an elegy.

Cate sighed as she brushed her morning thoughts. A great morning shouldn't be started that way, but what could she do? She was still stuck and her mind was still lost. She sat on the bed, and opened her bag. Inside it was the red velvety box and trapped inside was a diamond engagement ring. She traced the words written on the ring band, Ich Liebe Dich and her finger got stung. Did Sandy deserve to be spoken with such regards? Did she even deserve to feel her love? She looked at the sparkly diamond adorning the top of the ring. It was beautiful, but it would even be more beautiful if it was on Sandy's ring finger. Sadly, it wasn't. She planned to propose three months ago. Bought the ring in mirth and excitement, but she never saw that it would end, let alone be marked by the ending of a betrayal.

"Ma'am, room service."

Cate looked at her still-closed door. It all felt the same and it was so taxing to be experiencing the same thing over and over again. It was like she was in an endless loop. Each day, a room service would come, she would greet the person and she would spend her day pretending to be happy, but truthfully, she wasn't. Cate stared at the door, imagining the person on the other side waiting for her to open it.

"Ma'am?" Another knock was heard again.

She sat still. Her mouth never wanting to say a single phrase.

"Breakfast is ready, ma'am."

Breakfast.

Pancakes.

Bacons.

Fresh cut chocolate-dipped strawberries.

Milk.

Coffee.

Remembering those, her tears started to fell. She wasn't feeling anything aside from the slow notion of her body going down on the floor. Cate certainly didn't want to cry, but she was losing it all. She hugged herself as she silently cried. There was a knock again and a few more minutes before it diminished into the thin air. And there she was, sitting on the floor, the engagement ring clasped between her raw fingers - broken, dejected, and lost.

She had a beautiful smile as she placed all the food she cooked on the tray. Mostly were Sandy's favorites. There were pancakes dazzled with powdered-sugar. Fresh cut chocolate-dipped strawberries. A good toast. Bacons and eggs. Milk and honey and a cup of coffee for her. She took off her apron and hang it on the counter before she got the tray and proceeded to walk upstairs. She was smiling all throughout her jaunt in making her way to her room where her lover was in. She had the ring on the pocket of her robe and she was ready. Sandy needed a new start and she was ready to give a new chapter for her.

She slowly went inside. The brunette was still sleeping soundly, asleep like a baby at midnight. With hope fluttering in her heart, she placed the tray on the bedside table. It was now or never. She and Sandy could start anew, and together they would bring Sarah to jail. Cate sat on the bed, gently touching Sandy's face with her finger.

"Hmmm good morning." Sandy spoke, her voice soft yet weak, eyes still closed, but she managed to pull a smile on her lips, "You stayed." She added weakly.

"Of course, I'll always stay, baby." Cate smiled at her as she watched Sandy sat on the bed, "How's sleep?"

"It was fine."  The brunette looked at Cate, left hand slowly reaching the blonde's hands, "Thank you for last night. I thought I would be losing you." 

Her tears slowly fell, but Cate was quick to wipe it. She stared at Sandy lovingly- eyes reflecting warmth and safety.

"Don't cry." Cate hushed, her thumb working circles on Sandy's hand, "I know it's hard, but you have me. You have me always, baby." The last words came out like a whisper, "I am not leaving you. The day you agreed to be mine was also the day that I told myself that you will have me too, forever. I know we are such in a bad place right now, but I am here. I love you so much and I will do everything for you, for us." Cate got out the ring from her robe, opened it in full display, "Marry me, baby. Be my wife."

Sandy was shocked. It was not a question. It was an order. A desperate plea spoken by someone who was very in love. There were still tears coming out from Sandy. She didn't speak, nor react, but her lips parted. There were words begging to be spoken and she watched Cate, who was now on one-knee on the floor, smiling at her with the diamond ring in front.

"Let's start again." Cate mumbled, full of hope, love and anticipation.

"I'm sorry. I cheated on you with Sarah."

***