Chapter 19

I hated doing this to Mom, Dad, and Morgan, but I don't exactly have anywhere else to go. Wanda, Bucky, and I arrived at what I used to and still call home. It was a beautiful disclosed log cabin surrounded by trees and different shades of green.

    We all got out of the car and headed towards the front door. Bucky's hand is in mine and his grip tightens as we get closer. He's never met my family besides Dad, so I don't exactly blame him. I give him a small smile before knocking on the door. The door swings open to reveal Mom,"Morgan Howard Stark I told you to stay ba- Y/N!" Pepper swings her arms around me, a smile spreading across her face,"What are you doing here? With Wanda and... who's this?"

    "Mom... this is Bucky. I'm sure Dad's told you all about him." My palms start sweating, not knowing how Mom will react.

    Surprisingly enough, she embraces him in a hug. Bucky freezes then slowly hugs her back,"It's great to finally meet you." She smiles, proceeding to give Wanda a hug, and Bucky's face looks white.

    "What's wrong?"

    "Pepper just ya know threatened to tear me apart if I ever hurt you. Which, I guess lucky for me," He places a kiss on my forehead,"I'm never going to hurt you." My chest fills with warmth, the irony causing me to snort, as I turn back to Mom. She invites us in and I'm nearly brought to the ground by a certain little Stark.

    Morgan has her entire body wrapped around my legs, causing me not to move. I pick her up and swing her around,"I missed you!" She yells and I pull her close to my chest.

    "I missed you, too, little Stark." I set her down and walk into the kitchen. Pepper was in the middle of cooking dinner, the aroma causing Bucky and Wanda to sit at the bar.

     "We're sorry for barging in, Mrs. Stark. We just really had nowhere else to go and Y/N was driving." Bucky explained, his hands folded on the counter.

    "Really, I understand. You guys are always welcome here. And, please, call me Pepper." I've loved Pepper ever since Dad brought me home from HYDRA. They had only been dating at the time, but I already knew they'd end up together. So, I decided to get close to her, and it paid off. I couldn't have asked for a better step-mom.

     Mom placed food on five different plates and set them down on the counter. We all dug in, extremely starved after driving for hours. Wanda, Bucky, and I refused to let Pepper do any cleaning up and made the kitchen spotless,"So, Y/N, your bedroom is as you left it, and for Wanda and Bucky, there are two guest rooms upstairs. Y/N can show you the way." We thanked Pepper and headed upstairs. 

    A few steps up, Bucky was stopped by Morgan,"I like your arm, mister." She said, tracing her finger over the indents in the metal. I tried to push her away but Bucky stopped me.

    "Thanks, kid." He said, rubbing the top of her head. I could see a small smile appear on his face.

    I showed Bucky and Wanda their rooms and headed to my own. It was as I left it, like I never left. I threw myself on the bed and stretched out. It felt good to be back. I nearly fell asleep till there was a knock on the door,"Come in, Bucky." My soldier walked in, his hair tied back in a knot. I rubbed my eyes and sat up.

    "Sorry, Doll, did I wake you?" I shook my head and gestured to the open space on my bed. He walked over and sat beside me,"I like your sister."

    "Yeah, she's pretty great. She's a handful, though." I yawn and lay back down. Bucky did the same, our faces now so close that I could feel his breath on my face.

    "If you're tired, darlin', I can leave."

    "You're funny if you think I can sleep ok without you." Bucky laughed softly and wrapped his arms around me,"Seriously though. I haven't really had any nightmares recently."

    "Same here." He placed a gentle kiss on my forehead, the stubble on his chin tickling my skin. I bury my head in his chest and doze off to sleep, the events of today replaying through my mind.