Chapter 27

Once again, I can't sleep. How can I when everytime I close my eyes, his fingers are curling around my neck? How can I when the only thing bringing me peace is the fact that there's a stronger human being in the room and that I can see everything around me? So, I don't. And instead I slip out of the arms of a very peaceful and sleep-deprived James Barnes. I head out of my room to darkened hallways of the building I now call home.

I lightly tread up the stairs and head straight for the balcony. The moon casts shadows throughout the living room as it shines brightly throughout New York. I walk out the glass doors and head to the edge. I look down at the people. How great it must be to have a normal life. Although, I guess, you can never judge a book by it's cover.

As I look at the flickering lights of this lovely city, my mind drifts to Bucky. As much as I want him to sleep, I wish he were with me. I think of when we first came out here together. It feels like not that long ago. Now that was almost two months ago. So much as happened. Some I would relieve again, and some I wish I didn't live at all.

As if he read my mind in his sleep, I hear familiar footsteps behind me,"Why are you still up, Doll?"

"I um couldn't sleep."

If feel a small kiss on my shoulder and arms around my waist,"Come back to bed. You need your sleep as much as I do."

"I can't. I'll just be lying there until you wake up again." My fingers explore his hands. I turn to face him, a small smile on my face,"You can go if you want. You obviously need more sleep than I do"

"Nah, I'll survive. What kind of boyfriend would I be if I left you out here alone?"

My heart flutters at his words,"I think that's the first time you've called yourself my boyfriend."

He smiles and it seems to light up all of New York,"Well, I am. Aren't I?"

"Only if you wanna be, love."

"Well then I very much am." Bucky places kisses on my forehead, sliding his fingers up and down my back.

"You, Barnes, still owe me a dance."

"I guess I do," one of his hands grabs mine and he pulls me closer,"So dance we shall."

"FRIDAY?" I ask

"Yes, Ms. Stark?"

"Play my slow dance playlist." Slow jazz music starts to play, and our hips slightly sway to the beat. He spins me, and I feel like I'm in heaven. He pulls me back in and I forget how to breathe. His lips find my forehead, then the tip of my nose, then my lips. How I wish they didn't stop there. 

The song comes to an end, and he dips me. He gives me one of his handsome smiles and my god I'm going to cry forever once he leaves,"Don't leave me."

"What do you mean?"

"Don't leave me. Us. Because I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't have this." He embraces me tightly and I breathe him in.

"If you think that wouldn't destroy me as much as you, you're so wrong."

"I better be." He looks me in the eyes then down at my lips. My mind screams when he smiles and sits down, no kissing involved,"You're an asshole."

"And you, darling, are a bitch," I jokingly gasp,"But I guess I'll stay anyways. You're lucky you're pretty." He says, the sarcastic comments rolling smoothly off his tongue

"I guess I am." We both laugh as I sit in his lap. And, we just sit and watch the sunrise, as talk about nothing and everything. I never thought I would be able to find peace again after those terrible four weeks, but here it is.