Chapter 2

"Veronica?" a male voice speaks.

I instantly recognize who called my name and I quickly put the teddy bear back inside and close the cardboard box.

"You," I state annoyed while pointing at Dominic.

He seems confused but I walk to him.

"You are looking through her-" I interrupt him.

"You lied to me, I lost track of how many times I asked you, I begged you to tell me the truth-" I stop myself to take a breath and gather my emotions. "You looked at me straight in the eyes, and lied."

The disappointment is clear in my voice and Dominic sees it, but quickly composes himself.

"What are you talking about?" he asks, obviously lying.

"You visited Derek, you talked to him, didn't you?" I fight back the tears.

"I- I didn't. He ignored my visits too. How can I make you believe me?"

"You are lying!" I yell at him and he sighs.

"I'm not, I don't know anything about him, I promise."

I just don't know if I can believe him anymore.

"Then how did you know I'm still sending letters to Derek? I never told you." He raises his right eyebrow and I know he does that when he's nervous.

I wait impatiently for him to come up with another fucking excuse.

"Shanice told me," he admits and I look at him, analyzing if he is actually telling the truth.

"Shanice sees him?" I try to hide my disappointment but I fail miserably.

Of course, Derek doesn't reject her visits. How stupid could I be to think otherwise?

"You need to move on," Dominic says and I look at him baffled, he was always the one encouraging us, now he wants me to forget that I am in love with Derek?

Just like it meant nothing? That all he did for me was in vain, and our moments, memories... never mattered.

"He risked his life... his future for me."

Nicole enters right as Dominic is about to speak and I quietly roll my eyes, I needed to talk about it more but she has her problems already.

"Woah, what happened here?" Nicole asks as she notices our beaten-up expressions.

I shrug and I grab my phone from her bed.

"See you tomorrow, Nicole," I mutter, completely ignoring Dominic and I walk past them without looking back.

~ Thirteen months ago ~

29th July 2020

Dear Derek,

I am writing because I've been denied to visit you, I'm not sure if it's because you don't want to see me or they aren't letting you... I just hope it's the latter. But if it's the first, please, give me a chance to explain! That cocaine wasn't mine, I would have never lied about that. Someone framed us! You shouldn't have taken the blame for me, even if you believed it was mine, I am so so sorry, Derek, I miss you so much. I didn't treat you right, I didn't deserve you but I want to be someone who deserves you, please give me a chance to make it right. You shouldn't be locked up, it was my responsibility and I will do anything I can to get you out of there even if it means I'll take your place.
Please, send me a letter back as soon as you can.