Chapter 24

Derek's POV

I forgot to close the curtains and the sunshine hits my face before I'm even done with sleeping.

It's too early for me to wake up now.

We went to sleep late.

I realize I'm not alone when Veronica's hair tickles my skin, most of her hair is clung to my beard and the rest is on my face. But it doesn't stop here.

My arms somehow got wrapped around her and she is sleeping on my arm.

Fuck, no. This wasn't my plan.

I don't want to give her mixed signals... I don't want to be too close to her. But it feels so fucking good.

My arm is numb which tells me we probably cuddled all night. I slowly brush her hair out of my face and I realize it smells like my shampoo.

Now I remember, she told me she used my shampoo but I was too busy staring at her.

It's hard not to when she was almost naked, the half-wet shirt glued to her body and I could damn tell she didn't bother to wear a bra. Well, not really her fault considering she doesn't have her clothes here.

I shouldn't think like this about her. It makes it thousand times harder to stay away from her.

Then why the fuck is my arm still around her? Why is her scent all over me and my chest is warm?

I want to stand up, take a deep breath and pretend I don't love her.

I look down at the blanket and I notice her legs are exposed, it's not really cold but since she was freezing last night goddamn running away from that motherfucker—which I'll beat up soon—I decide to pull the cover on her legs up to her hipbones.

I look at the clock on the wall and I notice it's barely 8 am. It's so early. I want to fall asleep again and not wake her up.

I don't move my arm despite not feeling it anymore, and I just close my eyes. I love her warmth.

How did we get to this point again... why can't I stay away from her if it's the right thing.

I feel her move and I pretend I'm asleep, I don't know who initiated the cuddle but I'd rather pretend I'm not awake.

Veronica whispers, "oh!" And it takes everything in me to not laugh. I feel her looking at me.

She slightly pulls away, so slowly and carefully and the bed cracks a bit when she sits up.

Why did she stand up?

It shouldn't make me upset. But I wish she would pretend she didn't know and we'd enjoy our last moment like this.

We never got any closure before, besides the one letter I sent her—which she claims she never received.

After a few minutes, I open my eyes, pretending to wake up and I yawn.

She is staring at me as she sits on the bed.